Budgeting for groceries

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They SHOULD be but the quality is iffy and they go bad very quickly.

patandchickens said:
(e.t.a. - don't refrigerate clementines, just keep them somewhere coolish and they'll be FINE for a week or two)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, I know, but try fitting milk and fruit for the week into the fridge? No room left for anything else!
What kind of fruit are you buying that you're storing the fridge? The only fruit I can think of that I refrigerate is grapes. Not a big deal, but you made it sound like refrigerator space was an issue for you. Are you one of those refrigeration fanatics? I know a few of those types! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pat made a good point. alot of fruits can stay out of the fridge for a reasonable time and with kids eating it, lol, it will not rot and should move fast for you.

dry your own fruit also. so if bananas are on sale, dehydrate some and now you have snacks in bags or containers vs. the fridge.

You started a good thread and got me thinking again. We are 3--2 adults and 1 little kid (3 1/2)

I am 100-125 per week. I HAVE GOTTEN it down to like $80---but was shooting for like $60 per week cause I do my own meats mostly, do my own canning, freezing etc.

But I am having a hard time doing it!!!!!! I shop and prices are increasing. Again some of my usual buys went up ANOTHER .30 on top of the .50 they did just a while ago. Food costs are still increasing and I see it....and it does reek havoc on the bill.

For a budget, I say decide what you are going to eat for the week at least. Check your pantry. What do you need to make those meals? Then shop sales, generic brands etc. and see where it left you.

Then the following week do the same. And see where it leaves you?

If you know the foods for meals, then I think you can save more money then just taking X amt. to the store and trying to do it like I did. I took $60 to the store and got caught in a way, I thought, huh, what do I truly need...-------so when I did make a meal list for the week, when I shopped I KNEW what I needed----after that it was filler money spent on WANT items.

just rambling...cause a budget is truly hard for me also...UGH---you would think it wouldn't be but it is..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My goodness, I don't know as I'd buy clementines that went bad within days if unrefrigerated. Does not sound like a good use of money. Just me, of course...

One thing to remember about refrigerated perishables is that when you do your weekly shopping you can use those up FIRST. So if you buy grapes or (shudder) precut cantaloupe or seafood or sliced deli ham (well actually you could freeze that) or whatever, eat those things in the first few days. Then for the rest of the week until your next shopping trip you eat things that did not require refrigerating. No more complex planning meals/snacks that way than not.

It would probably be good for kids to learn that not everything is available 'on demand' every day of the week or every month of the year, anyhow ;)

GOod luck,

Pat

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
GAH! I can't find the chart but did see a reference to them being 10 and change a day for 2 people at the thrifty level. Any idea where they hid that chart?

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
My goodness, I don't know as I'd buy clementines that went bad within days if unrefrigerated. Does not sound like a good use of money. Just me, of course...
The ones I got as a kid didn't but for the last few years they all have regardless of the store or brand. If they don't go mushy, they mold.

One thing to remember about refrigerated perishables is that when you do your weekly shopping you can use those up FIRST. So if you buy grapes or (shudder) precut cantaloupe or seafood or sliced deli ham (well actually you could freeze that) or whatever, eat those things in the first few days.
Right. Though I don't buy precut anything other than shredded cheese which the local store doesn't charge extra for.

Then for the rest of the week until your next shopping trip you eat things that did not require refrigerating. No more complex planning meals/snacks that way than not.
If it's produce, other than tomatoes or bananas or avocados (maybe one or tw things I'm forgetting?) it goes in the fridge.

It would probably be good for kids to learn that not everything is available 'on demand' every day of the week or every month of the year, anyhow ;)
Never said they didn't know that. I said that my 7 yr old is picky enough so I'd like to encourage him to eat the items that he does like so he doesn't live on pizza and peanut butter on whole wheat. THe more varied his diet is, the more wiling he is to eat other foods without a fuss. The more monotonous it is, the less willing he is to eat other foods.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about trying to cut every single thing you can without compromising quality? If refrigeration is an issue, do you have a garage or basement? I'm assuming NY is cool these days. We use our cellar and garage for stock-up fruits that could use refrigeration for long-term storage. If you don't mind a couple weekly trips to the grocery store, stay within your budget, only with 2 visits instead of 1, as long as you stick with your budget.

I can't come up with any numbers for you as I don't live anywhere near you or have a clue on what your food prices are. I bet, though, that simply paying attention to what you are currently spending is the most important first step. After awareness, then change. Good luck!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If the goal is to save money as much as possible while not changing anything you're uncomfortable about changing, then the only advice anyone can possibly give is what poppycat posted on the first page of this thread.

I.e., document what you're spending now, then see what you can pare back til you get to where you're not happy paring back anything else. Voila, there you go.

Has nothing to do with how much anyone ELSE might spend, in your region or anywhere else, it's a matter of personal preferences.

Good luck,

Pat