Bug Out Bag/Emergency Camping

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most organic peanut butters are in glass and Smucker's. We always have multiple jars in stock :hide. Santa Cruz dark roasted crunchy, and Smucker's organic crunchy are my favorites.

i don't like crunchy peanut butter but i do like eating roasted peanuts which after a few chews becomes like crunchy peanut butter. *shrug* i don't get it either. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would like to believe that our place would be a good SHTF place, but in reality, it is not. It is only about 1 mile off the major highway and our house it right at the intersection, way too close to the road. It would be really hard to defend if it came to that.
But we are far enough away from major urban areas, with a number of small urban areas between us and Green Bay, that we would have some time to get out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you prepared with a bug out bag in the situation where there is no habitable shelter anywhere?

i always have a list in my head of things to grab, but no one bag already packed. there's not much i'd really bother to take if things get that bad - because the more stuff you are lugging the less quickly you can move and the easier target you become for someone else.

If so what items do you have in your bag?

water, food (a few jars of peanut butter, any dried fruits or nuts, beans/bean collection, peas, garlic), clothes, tent, blankets, personal care stuff, books. the more time i have the more of each i'd be able to move.

Do you have bug out location(s) in mind?

family and/or friends since it is better to have people to watch your back if things get that bad.

What skills do you have in building a shelter?

enough, i've camped for months at a time so it is only the transportation that becomes the issue.

How quickly can you grab your stuff and run to the hills?

i've done it before in 5 minutes. stuff isn't as important to me as surviving.

Will you take your pets?

no pets here other than the worm farm and those buckets are too heavy and too many to take them all quickly, but if i had a place to take them where they'd be welcome i'd move them. :) they're easy to take care of but they cannot freeze or bake so they do need some protection from the elements.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Are you prepared with a bug out bag in the situation where there is no habitable shelter anywhere?
No, because I don't think this is a realistic enough situation. If I lived in hurricane, wildfire, or earthquake territory it would be different! In my region the severe weather concerns are tornado, winter storm (power outage in freezing temps) and heat wave. In the case or a tornado, we shelter in the basement. The swaths affected are narrow, so there's the ability to walk or drive to areas with housing/power/water. Hotels out of the area, etc. However, if you expect to drive out of a tornado aftermath, expect to need a chainsaw and patience while roads get cleared of fallen trees and maybe down electric lines. Alternately, we could stay with friends, at DH's work, in our camper if it survived (if our house it hit, likely the camper is destroyed), or camp on our property until we can find a local hotel or buy a camper or trailer home as temporary housing.
Do you have bug out location(s) in mind?
Yes.
How quickly can you grab your stuff and run to the hills?
I'm in the hills :gig Plan is to bug-in with the exception of a wildfire approaching. Hopefully, we would have enough time to hitch the camper. Otherwise we leave, find a hotel and buy what we need when we get to a safe place.
Will you take your pets?
Yes. We have 2 dogs. If there was a massive disaster, then my older frail dog would be euthanized. In a lesser disaster, take her with and board her away from the disaster area. My young dog is my service dog, so he is trained to go everywhere with me and I have the right to bring him into a shelter or hotel with me.

Livestock would be left with a water source and a prayer. Our pasture has standing water most of the summer, particularly after a storm. That would buy some time to get them sold, moved to another farm, or restore shelter/water.

DH and I picked this place with SS in mind. It's pretty decent. Of course anything can happen anywhere, but we're rather insulated here. (other than being just barely south of a tornado alley, yikes!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have said it before and I'll say it again - I have no plans of leaving. In our area hurricanes are the largest threat. That's why I bought the storm shelter. For those who have more recently joined this is what we invested in.

https://www.safesheds.com/

We are south of Houston and worry more about hurricanes and the tornadoes that they can spawn...but the shed is rated to withstand both. Evacuating for a hurricane can be a lot worse than it sounds. My son tried to evacuate for Hurricane Rita, in 2005, (which reached Cat 5 strength) and spent 12+ hours on the road and never made it north of Houston. Ludicrous! If the hurricane would have made a direct hit on this area - thousands stranded in their cars during a storm of that size would have perished. Also, if you go, you have to be able to get back. That's a problem in and of itself.

We have several generators that run on different fuels. I try to stay stocked up on both propane and gasoline.

I know the shelter doesn't cover any other type of disaster but I think we've got storms covered.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also keeping in mind if having to camp not to pack things that have plastic packaging as to not litter any modern human garbage in the environment. Glass containers, like peanut butter jars can be recycled and used at the camp site. I already do keep a lot of peanut butter jars, along with the lids and reuse.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As much as I complain about being cold all winter… it’s pretty safe here. We get hurricanes but by the time they hit us they aren’t very bad, and we occasionally get tornados but they’re tiny and do little damage. I can’t imagine living where there’s a constant threat of big storms!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If having to get away totally, well it depends on the situation if hiking, or driving. Hiking seems safer in some situations,
Another reason we plan to hunker down is that DH would never make it more than a mile on foot....if that. I know we're not the only folks with that issue either. We stay stocked up on food, water, and fuel for that reason also. And honestly, where we are doesn't have much undeveloped land around us. No place to head to on foot.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i've not seen peanut butter in glass jars for many years now, but we buy these 48oz jars two at a time and i can eat one of those in a month. i get nervous when i get down to half a jar or less and we don't have two jars waiting to be opened. :) it's a staple food item for me.

when camping i usually end up packing out more trash or recycling than i bring in because i hate seeing it anyplace it doesn't belong.
Smucker's Naturals and Adam's peanut butter are in glass jars with metal lids. I think the bigger size jars are 24 oz. I use a stand mixer to mix the oil and peanut butter together, so I buy two large jars at a time (and store in the fridge or freezer after mixing). If you are going to stir by hand, get the smaller size jar.

Last edited:

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i've not seen peanut butter in glass jars for many years now, but we buy these 48oz jars two at a time and i can eat one of those in a month. i get nervous when i get down to half a jar or less and we don't have two jars waiting to be opened. :) it's a staple food item for me.

when camping i usually end up packing out more trash or recycling than i bring in because i hate seeing it anyplace it doesn't belong.
Most organic peanut butters are in glass and Smucker's. We always have multiple jars in stock :hide. Santa Cruz dark roasted crunchy, and Smucker's organic crunchy are my favorites.