Bug Out Bag/Emergency Camping

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another reason we plan to hunker down is that DH would never make it more than a mile on foot....if that. I know we're not the only folks with that issue either. We stay stocked up on food, water, and fuel for that reason also. And honestly, where we are doesn't have much undeveloped land around us. No place to head to on foot.
Hiking could be an issue also. Last time I picked up my backpack, it was pretty heavy, and I still need to add a few more things before I could go anywhere.

If going nowhere, (as the plan is to stay) the backpack may still come in handy, just to have necessities at hand in case of a tornado and things are everywhere and difficult to locate.

It seems most of us have prepared our homes and properties as places to hunker down.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally moved in 3 weeks ago. Sorta. Still lots of stuff at son's house, but Ill get enough here to survive a few months. Then I'll start going back for the rest. What I don't want will go in a yard sale.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SS was also our plan living where we do, as our property is our bug out location.

If having to get away totally, well it depends on the situation if hiking, or driving. Hiking seems safer in some situations, and if trying to hide. I could be ready to go in maybe 20 minuets, and think I need to get more organized.

Things still needed to be packed would be some clothes, peanut butter, seeds, and books.

The dog is couch potato, and not fond of going for walks, so he would not do well with hiking, so he would have to toughen up. The cat could follow us.

I would like to spend some time this winter building an outdoor shelter out of the wild materials on the property.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't run for the hills. Although I will be selling this place in a few months, I will be moving into a small place until I can find what I want. When I find it, it will be my "stay here" place. The only reason I would run would be fire. Other than that, I would just hunker down.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also keeping in mind if having to camp not to pack things that have plastic packaging as to not litter any modern human garbage in the environment. Glass containers, like peanut butter jars can be recycled and used at the camp site. I already do keep a lot of peanut butter jars, along with the lids and reuse.

i've not seen peanut butter in glass jars for many years now, but we buy these 48oz jars two at a time and i can eat one of those in a month. i get nervous when i get down to half a jar or less and we don't have two jars waiting to be opened. :) it's a staple food item for me.

when camping i usually end up packing out more trash or recycling than i bring in because i hate seeing it anyplace it doesn't belong.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we lived at our other place. Which I loved, but it became way to popular shortly after our purchase. I drove my wife to just about where we live now and said if SHTF and we somehow get separated, you'll find me around here. Now that we are around here, I have no other place I could think of going to. Why run for the hills when you live on one? I reckon we'll just have to hunker down.

Biggest concern here is wind, it is windy up on this hill. And grass fires, we have lots of grass. Forest is all safe distance away. But if forest did catch fire to the south on a windy summer day, I could see where that could become a real problem quick. Grass fires move very fast in the wind, so we would need to think on our feet for sure. Snakes also... Big consern around here. 16ga. is great for snakes.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We also have another property that is less ideal, but a lot of wild food there. It's surrounded with farmers' fields on three sides that drain into the ponds, so water is an issue.

There used to be a group of people who lived/camped there in the 70s. Some of their litter is still there, and we need to clean up more. They ate a lot of peanut butter and Mrs. Butterworth's syrup.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also keeping in mind if having to camp not to pack things that have plastic packaging as to not litter any modern human garbage in the environment. Glass containers, like peanut butter jars can be recycled and used at the camp site. I already do keep a lot of peanut butter jars, along with the lids and reuse.
I do the same thing-and pickle/olive jars ;)