building a barn from scratch(here's a drawing what do you think?)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
xpc is totally right :)

I'd pour a slab in the area where you want the chickens, as even though this will require a tad more bedding in wintertime, it is irreplaceably marvellous at keeping rats and bigger things from tunnelling in. Which yes they can do even through rubber mats.

Pat
You are right in some ways Pat, but I will relate a bit of past experience there as well.

Usually concrete works great. We had a concrete floor that the rats decided to tunnel under and built a lovely little colony under there. They would come out from the edges and go back into the barn to feed then run out and under the pad to safety. It was horrible trying to get them all killed. You could not get to them. We ended up using poison which I like to avoid if possible.

Flooring the chicken pen with large gravel and then matting (or simply placing a layer of soil and bedding over it) will keep the rodents at bay as well.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
irreplaceably marvellous
Those two words (though misspelled) are paramount.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Flooring the chicken pen with large gravel and then matting (or simply placing a layer of soil and bedding over it) will keep the rodents at bay as well.
Hm, I've worked in a couple barns where rats tunnelled thru right through the gravel under the mats and then gnawed a hole through the edge of the mats for a very difficult-to-eliminate enterprise stealing horses' grain.

So I would sure not rely on gravel or rubber mats for protecting chickens, unless there were a lot of buried wire mesh involved one way or another.

I have yet to see rats gnaw through large concrete pavers covering the floor of a portion of a barn (tho I have seen them push up the brick-size pavers though). However you have to be very confident that the big pavers are tightly and securely set, as rats are strong and resourceful. And of course if they take up residence underneath, large pavers are really not much easier or more pleasant to remove than a slab.

Pat, an admirer, but definitely not a big *fan*, of rats' abilities

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I would probably only concrete PART of the barn. Like a work/office area, (MAYBE the isles) I would dig out the rest add a gravel base, install a ground fabric of some kind and then reinstall the dirt and level for good drainage in the rest of the barn. In actual stalls I would use rubber stall mats and bedding over them. That provides great drainage, uses less bedding over the long term, is easy to clean and easy on the animals. Concrete floors can be cold, which requires more bedding, and are hard on the animals as well, sometimes causing joint problems. Since they don't allow urine to drain away they tend to become more damp and you can even sometimes develop lung problems if the bedding gets urine soaked or too damp.
That's probably why I have to clean so much!!! :lol:
Then the hay was dropped though chutes to the mangers beneath.
Like I said before, the property came with the barn and loft, which is u-shaped, and has a sliding door and cat-walk to drop hay down into first, the ground floor, and 2nd, the manger in the shelter. I can't assess if another system is any less work for me. My building is very solid, my loft is very solid--nonetheless I took the precaution of installing floor lifts that are tightened to snug. They're supposed to hold up to 18K pounds each in a house with a weak floor. I'm sure now that I don't need them, though. Some guy who had never seen my barn suggested them 10 years ago, and I panicked. :ep
One of the most over looked aspects of most barn is the ventilation. Any new barn that I built would DEFINITELY have a cupola on the roof with an operable vent control. I would also install several good windows and a roof peak fan system.
Cupula, yes. Doors and windows, yes. Again, it would help if you looked at other people's barns. I don't have any fans and I don't want them or need them. (fans aren't self-sufficient) :barnie
Finally place it where smells and flies will not become a problem for your home
Fly predators, anyone? Diatomaceous earth? These are working great for me--try 'em.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pat, an admirer, but definitely not a big *fan*, of rats' abilities
We don't have rats down here in these parts, just big chihuahuas.

Getting back on task: a few 4x4s with purlins and girts will be cheap if you set them yourself.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Cupula, yes. Doors and windows, yes. Again, it would help if you looked at other people's barns. I don't have any fans and I don't want them or need them. (fans aren't self-sufficient)
In a certain sized barn fans are required by the uSDA to be civil and humane. I can size one for you if you tell me how many animals and square feet.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The cupula system works in our area MOST of the year. Remember there is a LOT of moisture associated with housing animals. You do need to be aware of your personal areas weather conditions, prevailing winds, flood plains etc whenever building any building.

In our area we often get temps over 100 with 80 and 90 percent humidity levels. A barn fan system is a MUST!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH is an attorney. I'd know if I was required to a have a fan. My horses move around 4 acres with a shelter 9 months/year--they're not stalled when it's hot. Don't think they're suffering. Certainly, I won't discourage you to have 'em. :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
DH is an attorney. I'd know if I was required to a have a fan. My horses move around 4 acres with a shelter 9 months/year--they're not stalled when it's hot. Don't think they're suffering. Certainly, I won't discourage you to have 'em. :lol:
Where you are you maybe don't need one at all. I am just saying each barn should be looked at based on the climate and use of that particular barn. Most of the ones that legally require them are on large commercial animal operations.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Sorry didn't mean to disregard your set-up but was just quoting some USDA codes on large animal buildings which has nothing to do with law, again I apologize for any intent otherwise.

Latest posts