Building a Buggy

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looking for plans, blueprints on building a buggy I thought about this forum. We are looking for plans, instructions on how to build an Amish-like buggy for transporting our family. This seemed to be the best place to ask the question. It seems everything is on the Internet except the answer to our dilemma ;). Perhaps there is another way to search for it, but so far this day me and hubby haven't found it.

Does anyone here know where we might find instructions on how to build a buggy similar to the Amish? Thanks.

L

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A quick google for "Amish buggy plans" came up with this: http://www.wildhorsebooks.com/thompson.htm

Looks like there's lots in there, but they aren't free :(

My Grandfather did some wheelwright and repair work in his younger days, but never built an entire buggy. He was a real jack-of-all-trades, a really cool guy--used to let us build things in his workshop when we were kids and I still have the jewelry box he made for me when I was 11 years old.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Instead of building a new one, you may be able to find a used one that needs work for cheap. That could save you a ton of time and money.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gotta go through my books n c, I think I do?
I'll second that Deb, I always see em for sale round here.
Always wanted to do that too!

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Instead of building a new one, you may be able to find a used one that needs work for cheap. That could save you a ton of time and money.
X2

I just sold a two horse farm wagon last spring for $50 just to get it out of my pasture. I'm sure you could find an old buggy somewhere the same way. Even if it was junk it could be used as a pattern to build a new one. Just an idea. :idunno

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I'll share these ideas with Lee. Plus I hear there is an Amish community in/near Sarasota; just thought of that. ;)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mr.Andersson said:
Well, found a pretty good "foundation" in Foxfire 2, its a wagon, with pretty good details including wheels.
http://www.foxfire.org/
Clicking the link now trying to find this info., Mr. Andersson. ??? Perhaps it is in the .pdf there at the site. Can't locate the wagon info there. Anybody else see it?