Building a cob home

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We're doing it! After 5 years of dreaming, we finally made the plunge two months ago and dug 5 feet of clay out of the ground to build our very first cob home. ;)

We infact just started the cobwalls this week, last week we built a 1 foot high stonewall on the perimeter of our foundation. But prior to all that we had lots of digging and filling to do. We have a website if you want to take a peek at our progress. Just click on "View my Page", to find a link to my website.

We really need to get going with this project, as winter will soon be settling in and we want to see how winters will be with this little studio. How little is little, you ask? 75 sq ft. Yep. that is it. We even have to get a building permit!! :rolleyes: People around here have been noticing and talking and out came the Building Official...dum, da, da, dun and he said, "$50 for permit and site plan". He did not like the idea that we wanted to put in a Rocket Stove, told us it was a fire hazard. Okay. :/ So, we had to send him some education material. He did not tell us no and he did not stop our progress, so onwards and upwards with the cob walls, door and windows!

Anyways, let us know if you have any comments or questions OR advice to help us.

See you soon!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's about time someone on here was doing this! :weee

This is my fave building construction and I always dreamed of having a haybale/cob house and building it myself. I hope you post plenty of pics and develop a journal on the progress.

Good luck!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had to look up what a cob home was. I've heard of them B4, but never actually knew what one was. I was picturing a house made out of corn cobs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I want details and pictures! Quick, make ten posts....run around the threads and put in your two cents until you have ten posts. Then you can post pics.

:welcome

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is my dream also. Glad I get to watch someone in the process. Keep us posted.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
some pics I found.... I want to do this!

3802_earth-art1.jpg
3802_earth-art4.jpg
3802_hobbit_house.jpg

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I just went to your website tonight. Y'all are doing great, even if you wish it was faster. :thumbsup Wish I could volunteer. It would be great experience for the one I want someday.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome

Visited your website and almost forgot to come back here and post. Lovely family you have there. And y'all are doing a wonderful job. I love the bottle lights.