Building a cob home

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Barbra Streisand in the movie A Star Is Born? She had a really cool house out west somewhere.... I don't know if it was a genuine cob home, but it was very cool.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
love it!

id love to do a cob one day!

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am happy to report that we have officially finished cobbing our southwall!:D
Yesterday my soulmate and I spend the day lifting logs up onto our 5 1/2 ft tall walls, so that we could encase the logs into the cob.
I wish I could post pictures here, but you can check out our website (listed in my profile). I can not wait to finished the other three walls, almost there. :p We really hope to get the roof on before the snow shows up....eeks! We may have a small hiccup in our plans though. We only have 1 1/2 bales of straw left and apparently we may have to wait until October before getting some more. Ouch! So our main plan of attack is to build the south and north walls and see how much material is left before attacking the east and west. The south and north walls is where all the weight of the roof in going to be, if we get that up then we should be golden. We hope! :/
So onwards and upwards!!
Thank you all for your support and encouragement. ;)

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, the latest news on the cob studio...we are almost done. We, actually, my husband has completed the roof trusses! Not erected into place, but it should be into place this weekend. How exciting is that! We still have not heard back from the building dept and our first snowfall was predicted for Friday, but furtunately for us the weatherman lied. Yay! We have a busy, busy weekend ahead of us! :p

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The building dept approved our permit, we pick it up Friday! :D
We have only about 22 feet of cob left to finish (three sides left), then we will work on the roofing, insulation and the gable ends,hopefully before the snow gets here. And if, we can beat the first snowfall then we will attack the mortar on the stonewall, flooring and insulation and then finally, the loft. But of course we want to tackle the exterior first. We are planning on making slipstraw forms to fit into the gable ends. Our roofing will be corriugated metal. We really wanted to use wool for our roof insulation, and we still may, just a little pricer than we expected...it's not wool batting, it is raw wool.
It was hard work getting those trusses into place with just my husband and I, but we finished in about a days time. No sore muscles, only a melon on the head when I forgot that there were now trusses sticking out of the wall :rolleyes:
So, now I am anxiously waiting for the weekend to tackle the next stage! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Where, oh, where are our pics???? :barnie Please post pics of your building process so we can live vicariously through your efforts? :D

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never heard of a cob house before, and I was also thinking of some corn-cob insulated house! I'm so impressed, I love the pictures I've seen. :)

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, I did it! Here some pictures! ;)

3912_cob_8_053.jpg

3912_roof_install_036.jpg

3912_roof_install_019.jpg

Latest posts