Building a greenhouse out of recycled clear plasic bottles!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i would really like to try something like this, but I don't think it would work here--maybe with a glass or plexiglass wall over the top of it--might work for a late late spring cold frame type of thing. hmmm.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am so going to do this! Eventually. I still think it is an awesome idea!

I'm reading the book called Stirring it Up How to make Money and Save the World by Gary Hirshberg the CE-Yo of Stonyfield Farm, the yogurt company.

When he was younger, he designed a greenhouse using tanks of water as walls. In the tanks he housed fish, each tank raised 100 lbs of fish per year. The dirty fish water was used to feed and water the plants. How intelligent was that!!!!

We just have to think outside of the box. That is why I LOVE this idea, it takes care of the all the plastic 2 liters in landfills!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That was so cool. Now I have this idea. We get our Arrowhead water in those 2 1/2 gallon rectangles. I have been trying to figure out something to use them for. I wonder if the could be bricks. Stacked together somehow and glued..... wow the wheels are turning.

Great post!!! :thumbsup

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That was so cool. Now I have this idea. We get our Arrowhead water in those 2 1/2 gallon rectangles. I have been trying to figure out something to use them for. I wonder if the could be bricks. Stacked together somehow and glued..... wow the wheels are turning.

Great post!!! :thumbsup
Hey now there is an idea!!! I see another SS contest brewing!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Even if you couldn't use the bottles for the roof, it should still work for the walls. Actually I would think that the bottles on the roof could be covered with something sturdier and the bottles would still provide additional insulation when it is cold.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't see why we snowbunnies couldn't use those sheets of corrugated fiberglass stuff, kinda clear-ish, to shed the snow....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Just make sure you put the slippery side up. SO installed it the wrong way around on my shed and it wears out too quick.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What would be the lifespan of this?

plastic bottles in the hot sun in NC just dry rot very fast it is unreal!

I am still thinking that a glass greenhouse would be best. BUT that is my region. Also not much into greenhouses actually. I would rather just "put up my produce by canning" after the harvest than to try to get "more time" to deal with a greenhouse..LOL-LOL

I just use small cold frames, 3 bales of hay or straw against the south side of a building and top with old window or door. Meets my needs.

I just don't know if this would last? Anyone know if would be worth the work involved?

just wondering????

Good idea but it would be better if we would just stop drinking soda so these 2 litre bottles wouldn't even be produced.