Building an Off Grid Earthship

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wallybear said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I guess I am just more interested in the frost heave issue, then anything.
The structural integrity of the rammed earth would be my concern.
Wood heat is a give in, because we are talking about weeks on end of sub zero weather.

We have looked at strawbale if we do build, as an option.
I built a straw bale home in Idaho and loved it. After I am done with school I am looking at moving to Alaska and looked into building one up there. Right now I am looking at build an above ground earthship using tires and back fill. There is no reason that you can not do this.

You can build it above ground and put enough mass around it to insulate it as if it was in the ground.
Be prepared for the price of straw up here :lol:
Its as much as our expensive hay!

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wallybear said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I guess I am just more interested in the frost heave issue, then anything.
The structural integrity of the rammed earth would be my concern.
Wood heat is a give in, because we are talking about weeks on end of sub zero weather.

We have looked at strawbale if we do build, as an option.
I built a straw bale home in Idaho and loved it. After I am done with school I am looking at moving to Alaska and looked into building one up there. Right now I am looking at build an above ground earthship using tires and back fill. There is no reason that you can not do this.

You can build it above ground and put enough mass around it to insulate it as if it was in the ground.
Be prepared for the price of straw up here :lol:
Its as much as our expensive hay!
I seen that when I was checking into it and that is when I started looking into an above ground earth ship home.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Welcome :frow Earthships are a great idea. I want to use some of those ideas when I build someday. If it was closer, I would have loved to volunteer.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:frow and welcome. That is way cool that you are going to build one of those for yourself. I would love to do the same.
My family built our own home, when I was a teenager. Wish we'd known more about Earthship type of building then.

If I ever end up with land that I can build on...... going of to dream....

LiviQueen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Right. Well that's a problem. An Earthship relies on the Sun AND Earth. Any home is going to need an energy source to heat it. Earthship capitalize on the big free one in the sky. An Earthship or Earthship style structure will still be your most efficient option, but you are going to need an alternative heat source. If you are using it as a root cellar, and it doesn't need to be 70 degrees, maybe an active geothermal heating system to keep it at a reasonable temp in those winter months without having to be there to throw wood in a stove or burn fuel.

LiviQueen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had never heard of frost heaving so I just did some reading about it. I can't say for sure since I've never dealt with it, but a tire wall structure has so flexibility in it unlike a cement form wall or concrete block. Those tires can shift and not compromise the structural integrity. You may get some cracks in your adobe walls, but that's easily fixed. I'm also going to say that by using that thermal wrap I talked about earlier buried 4' from the outside of the tirewall, you should be stopping all possibility of frost.

I’m new here, my question here is:
How earthquake safe is this structure,taking into account the unique land that Alaska has? Moved here from the lower 48,but slowly learning about the many special requirements of building a structure in the different areas in the state...what do you think?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately only one member from this post is still active here and I for one have no idea! Maybe someone else can help?

LiviQueen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately only one member from this post is still active here and I for one have no idea! Maybe someone else can help?

Thank you so much for your kind replies!!!
I’ve been living here full-time over 6 years now, loving every precious minute...
My dream is to buy acreage and build a homestead, however I’m clueless how to get to that point, as I grew up in a small city back in the Texas-Mexico border by the Gulf of Mexico.
Living here has taugh me about emergency preparedness and survival resources a little bit,but it seems like I’m years away from learning the skills needed to survive on my own here.Hence my interest in meeting like minded people like you here❤️

How are you doing? How did you end up on this site?
I just joined today(march15/2018) following a google thread