Bulk Food Supplies?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back in my first granola years life, I was involved in a community food co-op. Huge savings. The truck would come in once/month, and the members would take turns meeting the truck, unloading, breaking the bulk items down into family sized increments based on what each family ordered. It worked very well... until it got over run with YUPPIES who couldn't grasp the idea that they couldn't help themselves to the food as it was being broken down, and they wouldn't bother to show up when it was their turn to work. When the yuppies and their hoards of kids arrived, it wouldn't be unusual for 5# of raisins or trail mix to disappear out of the bulk bag... never mind, the fact that the entire amount was pre-ordered.

If you can find 2 - 3 families who are also wanting the same quality foods, and willing to commit a few hours to the process, it would not be difficult to set up a food co-op. I managed the paperwork, $, and ordering for our co-op for a number of years.

Such a co-op could easily be started with just a few families. Initially, while building your membership, you will need to limit your supplies to whole case items, perhaps breaking down a 50# bag of wheat between members. We would often meet before order day, and go through the list of items we wanted. Some one would say they needed raisins. (sold in 30# box) So, each member would state how many # they could take. We might get up to 25# with no takers for the rest. The rest would get bagged up as "surplus". There was ALWAYS an avenue to get rid of that surplus. If I took some to work, folks would get into a brawl over the opportunity to buy such great food at such a great price.

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A food co-op does sound lovely!

There's probably Facebook groups for that around here.
I'm not on Facebook, and so when I made a page for our Homestead, Facebook removed my suddenly created bare profile as fake. So, just my partner can access it to maintain it now. He'd give me his phone whenever I want to edit our page, but I avoid taking over on his account just for his privacy.
Ughhhhh. I haven't decided if I should just create a profile or not. I don't want a Facebook!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do not FB either. I keep up with "news" about common acquaintances through hubby's FB. Occasionally, I'll jump on to his account to reply to an old friend, prefacing the post with: "my name" speaking..." followed by my message. My co-op days were prior to FB. No doubt, social media would make ordering and co-op management much easier. But, it wouldn't erase the selfish/free loading behaviors of some folks who participate without "serving". A well written policy, outlining expectations for member participation, with extra costs added for non-participants would be necessary.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like they avoid all of the Northeast entirely.

I don't know anyone else interested in bulk stuff. I really have no means of networking with others up here.

Nutz. I love their bulk lentils, beans, rice, etc. They do ship Fed EX, etc, but unless you ordered enough to fill a pallet so it'd ship on a truck, the shipping cost would probably be horrendous.

I'd aim for a local-ish or closer LDS. Some Mormon groups don't mind you going in with them on orders delivered to their church...or that's what I was told years ago. Another possible outlet would be your local grocery store. For example, if it's an AG store, they have access to everything that's available through the AG warehouse, even if your local store doesn't carry it. Same for the other chains. You'll have to buy in full lots/cases.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wood working group in NC had a trailer setup, it was a complete wood working shop on wheels. They did a lot of charity and educational events and took donations of $$$$$ and equipment as a 501c, they did really well at it also.

They even paid me to give a presentation and live demonstration on how to saw logs into lumber. I also won several contests but I always donated back to the organization because I believed in its teaching, instructional and education mission.

What really touched my heart is when I volunteered to go and teach some disabled vets basic wood working skills. It was a very moving moment for me and I was hooked from that day forward, I still have some contact with a few of the guys even though I moved to southern IL.

I don't see why a mobile industrial kitchen couldn't be set up to do the same. Lots of options... Like teaching people how to can, processing fresh fruit and vegetables. How to butcher and prepare, preserve meat. The list goes on and on, all it takes is someone willing and knowledgeable to get it going. Trust me I would be interested in learning more about all that kind if stuff myself there are lots if people just like me that doesn't know jack about how to cook a decent meal from scratch. I take lessons from my wife, unless its the BBQ grill then that's my domain.

You could also do a mobile fresh food pantry (meals on wheels) comes to mind, who is doing something similar.
https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At one of the local hospitals they have set up a little mini farm stand. It's decorated to look like a market cart. Folks drop off their excess garden produce there, and any one who has need/desire can take it! What a fantastic idea this is!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do they do with the unclaimed stuff, @Lazy Gardener ? I'm thinking how every year people have way too much zucchini, (or me this year with kale) and there might end up being lots more than people want?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really don't know. But... I bet none of it goes to waste. I'm guessing there are some folks who would be happy to take any unclaimed produce home to flocks or pigs.