BUSY--Who is BUSY!?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've had three days in the garden this week, which is wonderful (but hard on the wallet - no clients). Hubby bought me a load of 'super loam', which is half compost, half loam, to finish filling the beds out back for the veggie garden. I've got lots left over, so there will be some lawn fixing done, too. I planted the first planting of peas and spinach, but I've got lots more to plant, tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so I'll get some things started under lights in the cellar.

The herb garden out front has a new centerpiece, a cement pineapple I found in Tennessee when we were on vacation last week. It's perfect, and I'm so happy it was very inexpensive! I cleared out the two beds in front of the house so the crocus, scillas and daffodils have a nice spot to shine in. I've still got about 150' of borders to clear out, and the lawn to rake.

Lots of work but I love it!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Popped in to say HI to all......

just not much time to type now.

SO GLAD everyone is working their tails off....LOL-LOL----but it is fun and the rewards are big time delish.....I can't wait to see if my cantaloupe make it!! I have a black thumb on cantaloupe for some reason yet everyone grows them here great....not me... :( lol

Keep plugging along and we will all be eating fresh veggies from the gardens!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I've had three days in the garden this week, which is wonderful (but hard on the wallet - no clients). Hubby bought me a load of 'super loam', which is half compost, half loam, to finish filling the beds out back for the veggie garden. I've got lots left over, so there will be some lawn fixing done, too. I planted the first planting of peas and spinach, but I've got lots more to plant, tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so I'll get some things started under lights in the cellar.

The herb garden out front has a new centerpiece, a cement pineapple I found in Tennessee when we were on vacation last week. It's perfect, and I'm so happy it was very inexpensive! I cleared out the two beds in front of the house so the crocus, scillas and daffodils have a nice spot to shine in. I've still got about 150' of borders to clear out, and the lawn to rake.

Lots of work but I love it!
WOW ---sorry the clients are fewer in between for you Reinbeau! Hard times I know......Tony's work is still 4 work and off 10 days....not pretty at all.

Fingers crossed your client list increases again for you! :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanx, Karen, and please keep your fingers crossed for the job he applied to today - he just happened to go into a local 'dirt' company and low and behold, they were looking for a good driver. He's going for his road test next week. It would be wonderful if he could get in here, it's year round work, and ya gotta figure if he gets hired during this economy, the job will probably last. With the spendulous bill passing there are going to be all kinds of roadwork jobs, that's what this company does. I'm hoping for him, the company he currently works for is starting up again, but it's not a good place to work. My lack of clients will not be as significant if he gets back happily to work.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wow, Ann! Good luck to your DH on the job!! That's great!!

Hope your clients pick up soon!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Thanx, Karen, and please keep your fingers crossed for the job he applied to today - he just happened to go into a local 'dirt' company and low and behold, they were looking for a good driver. He's going for his road test next week. It would be wonderful if he could get in here, it's year round work, and ya gotta figure if he gets hired during this economy, the job will probably last. With the spendulous bill passing there are going to be all kinds of roadwork jobs, that's what this company does. I'm hoping for him, the company he currently works for is starting up again, but it's not a good place to work. My lack of clients will not be as significant if he gets back happily to work.
OOOhhh....fingers are crossed for him Reinbeau! I am hoping all goes well next week for him!!!! You are right, if he gets a new job now and they are in the roadworking jobs, then his company should do well.

Tony's place is picking up more orders and he worked 5 days instead of 4 the other week.....so hopefully they will be getting back to their old normal schedule....only can wait and see!

Let me know how it goes and I am wishing ya'll the best of luck!
:)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Spring is my busy time, too. Although, FC, not as busy as yours.

So far, I have planted well over 1,000 tomato seeds. I have transplated about 250 of those to 4" cups already. In about three to four weeks, those will go to gallon containers. Those are the real money makers. I can sell them for about $3.50 each. That's not huge scale, but still a good little profit for me.

In a week or so, I'll have another round ready to go into 4" cups. Some that I just planted a couple of days ago will be sold in flats of 48.

I've got hundreds of squash, zukes, cauliflower, watermelon and cantaloupe seeded. Gotta do more melons today.

We have been working on the new hoop house that is 12x36. All we have yet to do is stretch the long plastic from end to end. The door and windows are in and those ends are finished. When the tomatoes get a little bigger and more hearty, they will go in there.

So, it's a little busy here, too. But, I love it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
punkin said:
Spring is my busy time, too. Although, FC, not as busy as yours.

So far, I have planted well over 1,000 tomato seeds. I have transplated about 250 of those to 4" cups already. In about three to four weeks, those will go to gallon containers. Those are the real money makers. I can sell them for about $3.50 each. That's not huge scale, but still a good little profit for me.

In a week or so, I'll have another round ready to go into 4" cups. Some that I just planted a couple of days ago will be sold in flats of 48.

I've got hundreds of squash, zukes, cauliflower, watermelon and cantaloupe seeded. Gotta do more melons today.

We have been working on the new hoop house that is 12x36. All we have yet to do is stretch the long plastic from end to end. The door and windows are in and those ends are finished. When the tomatoes get a little bigger and more hearty, they will go in there.

So, it's a little busy here, too. But, I love it.
HI PUNKIN

Good to hear from you....I was wondering how you were doing! Fun to chat with you and YES you are super busy also. I know the work involved in all the transplanting....lol....we sure have to love it! :)

That is a very nice profit off your plants. And tax free which is always the best way!!!! You are making a nice profit off your plants and if I wasn't so busy with my usual stuff I would be doing it also. I am thinking about potting a small amt. of herb plants for Tony to sell at the market.....not many like 50 thyme, 50 rosemary, 50 basil.....just enough to see if they would fly off good at the market.

It is always nice when they sell fast! Good deal for you!!!!! The hoop house will sure be a nice edition!

You go girl....keep that good working happening! :)

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:hit
Where's the jealous smiley?
I am just sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Nothing goes in into the ground here until June 1st. Sometimes the week before if a person wants to be brave. I do have my seeds ready to start indoors, and I have a new batch of baby chicks to introduce to the flock in a few weeks.
I will also be having a baby in the next couple weeks, I can't wait to be back to my old self again. It'll be nice to be able to tie my shoes!

I love Alaska so much, but I am a country/farm girl to my bones, and unfortunately Alaska has a terrible growing season.

So, I live through your posts, green with envy, wishing you all the best!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
:hit
Where's the jealous smiley?
I am just sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Nothing goes in into the ground here until June 1st. Sometimes the week before if a person wants to be brave. I do have my seeds ready to start indoors, and I have a new batch of baby chicks to introduce to the flock in a few weeks.
I will also be having a baby in the next couple weeks, I can't wait to be back to my old self again. It'll be nice to be able to tie my shoes!

I love Alaska so much, but I am a country/farm girl to my bones, and unfortunately Alaska has a terrible growing season.

So, I live through your posts, green with envy, wishing you all the best!
I thought you were supposed to be able to grow monster veggies with all that daylight you have. I guess it's kinda a short productive season???