Butcher School???

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since we have been trying to get this pig slaughtered we haven't found a mobile butcher. This has made DH think that there's a need for such a thing in this area (I couldn't agree more). Does anyone know what certifications we would need to start up such a business? Has anyone used a mobile butcher service? How was it? Any info would be helpful.

:)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have any information other than an acquaintance just opened up a shop and does mobile also I believe and they are SUPER busy! They bought used equipment from other businesses and have built clientele rather quickly. There is definitely a need, we had a hard time finding a reasonably priced one in our area at least. A great SS skill to have!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree! A great skill to have. I'm looking at the Va Dept of Agriculture website right now. DH did a good job on his deer last year and we have some roosters he can practice on! :D Def seems like something to look into.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would think the best thing he could do is apprentice maybe part time weekends or something at a shop to learn the cuts, etc. I am not sure there are many trade schools for it other than the some culinary arts degrees which cover it but you would have to take the entire program I am assuming.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
The biggest thing you are gonna run into is a place to store meat at the correct temperature until you can get it processed and packaged. I've seen mobile butchers but they have a cold storage and USDA inspected facility that the meat goes to once it is butchered. You have to think about the aging process involved with some meat. You also have to have a clean facility to handle large quantities of meat....think about the space needed to butcher a cow or a full sized hog. Going to someone's home and killing an animal is one thing but actually processing it for them is another. You would need a commercial grinder and a way to dispose of the leftover bits properly. You also have to have a system to get the meat hung up to skin it. And a couple of guns. :p

Maybe you could get in touch with a local processing facility to see what their requirements are and scale it down?

ETA: do you have a local butcher that might be willing to do the processing for you after you go do the "deed" and skin the animals? Maybe you could work out an agreement where you do the killing and transport and he does the processing?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I would think the best thing he could do is apprentice maybe part time weekends or something at a shop to learn the cuts, etc. I am not sure there are many trade schools for it other than the some culinary arts degrees which cover it but you would have to take the entire program I am assuming.
Great suggestion. Even offering to provide free part time labor in exchange for learning at a local butcher shop, might be worth it. I would think that this would be an excellent skill to have, for earning as well as bartering.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
He's going to start looking for a position as a butcher's helper or at a "meat Market" here locally. They don't do whole processing at the meat market but he will at least learn the cuts and how to season and make sausage, etc. But yes that is a good idea.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
The biggest thing you are gonna run into is a place to store meat at the correct temperature until you can get it processed and packaged. I've seen mobile butchers but they have a cold storage and USDA inspected facility that the meat goes to once it is butchered. You have to think about the aging process involved with some meat. You also have to have a clean facility to handle large quantities of meat....think about the space needed to butcher a cow or a full sized hog. Going to someone's home and killing an animal is one thing but actually processing it for them is another. You would need a commercial grinder and a way to dispose of the leftover bits properly. You also have to have a system to get the meat hung up to skin it. And a couple of guns. :p

Maybe you could get in touch with a local processing facility to see what their requirements are and scale it down?

ETA: do you have a local butcher that might be willing to do the processing for you after you go do the "deed" and skin the animals? Maybe you could work out an agreement where you do the killing and transport and he does the processing?
DH did call the Va Dept of Agriculture and they were very helpful. To be USDA approved you have to have a USDA inspector on-site whenever you slaughter and process. Apparently you ARE allowed to have a mobile processing truck without having the refrigeration and follow USDA standards but you will have to mark the meat as "not for human consumption". This might be a good place to start. Just kill, bleed out, separate into large cuts, take the unwanted bits, and call it a day. I would love to have someone do that for me. I could cut and package it myself and freeze/chill it for the 14 days as called for.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was thinking that would be a great service for my area too. The closest food locker is an hour drive away. Even if you only specialized in smaller animals, mainly poultry, there would be plenty of customers.

Latest posts