Butchering Class - Becca Fails Chopping 101 - Aly Falls Over Laughing

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's an added blessing. Last week we had temps up in the 90s with hot, muggy nights. Last night it was cool for working and went down to 50. Nice for helping to cool off the birds. :thumbsup

Next time I think raising birds up through August/September and butchering first of October would be about the right weather. These meaties (18 of them) were going through 9 gallons of water a day this last week. I kid you not! I could find no leaks in the 2 big bell waterers I was using. :th

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That was an awesome story! :gig

I found out with my first butchering experience that the creature DID NOT want to die. It was harder than I expected. Plus I had the requirement of not breaking any bones so I could use the skeleton!

I think I'm scarred for life. I have my SO take care of pinky rabbit culls. I just can't do it.

BUT, on the plus side, I can whack a fish on the head to kill it. And I can filet a fish now!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Becca's mom called me a little bit ago and informed me that, "I want you two girls to learn how to cut up chicken!"

So, I think she's planning a mutiny! :gig she's asked get me to come over there this evening to learn how to cut them up and take my chicken home. :lol:

So, Becca, ready for another adventure??

Oh, and I'm taking neck and back pieces and the breast bones to use in making stock with. :D Your mom said she has a recipe for it, and she's going to share it with me so I can learn to make it!! :D

And, another funny moment - as we were preparing for me to chop the very last chicken, his neck was too fat to fit between the nails on the stump. I shoved and shoved, and finally squished his fat neck between the nails. He gagged like a person would when choking lol and when I chopped off his head, the headless body gurgled like he was still choking! :th

When Becca and I were taking turns holding for the 12 y.o. son to chop, we both got a sprayed a bit by jolting headless chickens. All over our hands and face - but instead of being grossed out, we were laughing and teasing each other...at one point, I even told Becca her splatter made it look as if she had measles!

Thankfully Ilene had a garden hose (I'm jealous!) with a pressure nozzle on the end (see my green eyed monster!) and they use an air compressor for their water pressure. We were able to rinse some of the mess off in their gravel drive area.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
SKR8PN said:
P.S. We are keeping the livers, gizzards and hearts for our own dining enjoyment! :drool :celebrate
Ever use the feet? I know some skin them and use them in making stock.

This woman is used to doing up a lot of birds at once. The big chicken farmer up the road from her brings her his rejects every couple of months. She said those things are nasty but she usually finds something usable.
I have a friend originally from Liberia that one day shyly asked me what do I do with the chicken feet. I told her I just pitch them. Evidently she makes a certain kind of soup using the feet as a stock base. I have tasted her cooking on a number of occasions, so I can just about guarantee it is delicious. Ever since that day I always save all of the feet just for her and she is so happy. Chicken feet are hard to find in the supermarkets! :lol:

After reading this story you all now understand WHY I am a neck breaker. Way easier for me and no half chopped chickens to deal with! I am also a hard core scissors user. Give me a good pair of poultry shears any day over a knife. I seem to be so clumsy with a knife I spend more time cutting up me that cutting up chickens! :p :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I hear you, Farm, but honestly - I'm the squeamish one here, and I'm still so pumped, my only regret is I only got to chop 2 heads!

I told E I'm tempted to try to get my hands on some meaties for ourselves for this fall - but I want a hatchet like Becca's first!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So for dinner tonight, we had FRESH fried chicken and....

it tasted like chicken! :lol:

The kids all agreed that Becca did a good job raising the meaties. :lol:

I have necks and backs and rib pieces and so tomorrow afternoon, I start making my first ever home made chicken stock!

:weee :ya

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great story! Thanks for the laugh, I sure needed it.
A few weeks ago, a friend came over and we did 23 I think it was. It took us 7 hrs!!! UGH! Next time we will do a few at a time.
I can just picture her running backwards being chased by a headless chicken! :lol: Once you get them started, its really not that hard. We have 2 hatchets....one for chickens, one for wood kindlin. I keep them both sharpened nicely. ;) I want to get a few more, for those " just in case moments" :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: :hit :lol: Oh, my I have not laughed that much in a realllllly long time. I am so proud of both of you. What a great learning experience.

I can just imagine the story that Amish woman will be telling her friends this week.

Great job. :thumbsup
gina