Butchering Class - Becca Fails Chopping 101 - Aly Falls Over Laughing

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Here's an added blessing. Last week we had temps up in the 90s with hot, muggy nights. Last night it was cool for working and went down to 50. Nice for helping to cool off the birds. :thumbsup

Next time I think raising birds up through August/September and butchering first of October would be about the right weather. These meaties (18 of them) were going through 9 gallons of water a day this last week. I kid you not! I could find no leaks in the 2 big bell waterers I was using. :th
They will drink that much water, even in the fall. Meaties are built to only eat, drink, poop and gain weight as fast as they can. They are pigs when it comes to eating, and all that water is what helps keep the meat clean and tasty.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
BeccaOH said:
Here's an added blessing. Last week we had temps up in the 90s with hot, muggy nights. Last night it was cool for working and went down to 50. Nice for helping to cool off the birds. :thumbsup

Next time I think raising birds up through August/September and butchering first of October would be about the right weather. These meaties (18 of them) were going through 9 gallons of water a day this last week. I kid you not! I could find no leaks in the 2 big bell waterers I was using. :th
They will drink that much water, even in the fall. Meaties are built to only eat, drink, poop and gain weight as fast as they can. They are pigs when it comes to eating, and all that water is what helps keep the meat clean and tasty.
Wow, good to know for next time. QA thinks there should be a next time. I'm not so sure. :hide

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Wow, good to know for next time. QA thinks there should be a next time. I'm not so sure. :hide
Chicken ...........

:gig

I have it under good authority that your mom is cooking stock today.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so now you see why we hung ours up......so they wouldn't chase us when we cut their heads off..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lnm03

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:lol: OK I know this is an old thread but............my boss officially thinks I am nuts! Several times I bursted out laughing! I think that would be the last bird I ever touched! :lol: :gig We use the cone when we do ours...now I know its for a good reason! ;)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig
oh my, thats some fun right there! we will definitly be using the cone when the time comes for our layers. I can imagine what my SO would do if one of the headless were coming for him and i would be forced to get rid of the entire flock!!

oh my, good good times!

is it true what they say, that the meat you butcher yourself tastes the best?