butter

ashylove

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so i have been making butter for a while now, but all done in my mixer. today i made a smaller batch, so i just shook it... i think that was alot of fun!!! a great project for kids.... i may have to do this with my 3yo... lol

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It's all fun and games...............until that glass jar slips and breaks! :D

Really, that does sound like fun and exercise for the kiddos! I make mine in a blender, too. Once when I was bringing the chickens the whey, I walked 3/4 mile from my house to the farm, the glass jar jostling up and down the whole way. When I got to the farm and dumped it out, there was a little butter on top! Guess I hadn't gotten all the fat out after all...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Making butter is a standard lesson for grade school kids in the Wisconsin public school system. Baby food jars and lots of shaking for all...LOL

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I taught school to preschoolers and kindergardeners for 16 years. We always made butter in babyfood jars. Each child had their own jar and some saltines and a plastic knife. They got such a kick out of it!

Good for you! Do you have your own cow, goat or sheep?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:

Really, that does sound like fun and exercise for the kiddos! I make mine in a blender, too. Once when I was bringing the chickens the whey, I walked 3/4 mile from my house to the farm, the glass jar jostling up and down the whole way. When I got to the farm and dumped it out, there was a little butter on top! Guess I hadn't gotten all the fat out after all...
I made home made butter with my kids. By just shaking a jar.. We used a cleaned plastic peanut butter jar. That way no breakage..

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me how to do this, it sounds wonderful and something fun to do with the kids? Thanks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
All you need to do is pour some heavy whipping cream in a babyfood jar (maybe a dash of salt too). FIll about half way if I remember correctly. Seal it well and let the little rugrats shake the jars until the cream turns in to butter and buttermilk. Pour off the buttermilk and let them take the fresh butter and spread it on some crackers.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:

This sounds like the story about how the honey extractor was invented. The story tells about a father and son who were on an outing, and came across a bee tree. The father told the son that he was going to get some honey comb and put it in his lunch pail, and he then told the son to carry it back to the house. The son played along the way swing the lunch pail around and around. When he got home the mother opened the pail and found honey separated from the comb. When they questioned the boy he owned up to the swinging activity, and the experimenting began.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cool tallman!

I read in a biography once that they used to butter corn on the cob by filling a larger mason jar with hot water and put a pat of butter in. The butter melted and stayed on the top surface of the water. They just submerged the corn in and pulled it out. As it came out a thin sheet of butter was left on every kernal of corn...perfectly buttered all the way around. And very little was wasted. One pat of butter for the whole family's corn. :)

I've tried this method and it works perfectly!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now there's a good idea big brown. We just put the hot corn right on the stick of butter and roll it. Your method would give the corn a lighter coat, thus saving butter.