Butternut Squash Recipes

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is one of those squash that will work for pumpkin pie custards, so that is always something i love to eat. :) (forget the crust i can pass on that entirely)...

we rehome extras with friends or family or anyone else (a FREE sign by a pile on a table along the road).

as it gets colder and the squash have cured enough i'll start roasting those that haven't already been used (the damaged or ones showing any signs of early spoiling get done first) put that in bags and freeze it. that will stay good for quite a long time (double bag if your bags aren't quite good enough for freezer storage). we just finished off the squash from last year and it was as good as it was when i made it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looked up the 3 sister stew...thanks NH! That sounds quite good. We think of these squash as something to add sweetener but, they are quit good as a savory.

I cooked a goat roast last week and while slicing, tried a few different herbs and seasonings, a bite at a time. One I really liked was sage! Now might have a new sausage going on.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got any AGH to mix into that sausage?
Doubt it...think all I have is one more belly slab. Thought bacon but, could grind some.

Milked this morning. First time in a long time! But tasted good, even warm. Time to work up some cheese for winter. I'll have plenty of milk. ;) A litter of AGH close by for sale...bout 4 months old. On fence with winter coming but, it's sure tempting!

This has nothing to do with butternuts! Ooops.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This recipe doesn't use pureed squash - but I bet there's a way to adapt it. It's definitely weird enough that I would try it the next time I have a butternut squash, lol. I like to try unique recipes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This recipe doesn't use pureed squash - but I bet there's a way to adapt it. It's definitely weird enough that I would try it the next time I have a butternut squash, lol. I like to try unique recipes.

ooo! Like a shepherd's pie of sorts! Brilliant! Thank you!