1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Buy propane when it's cheap

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by CrealCritter, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Nov 11, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    sumi likes this.
  2. Nov 11, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Good reminder! I don't use propane at the moment, but can say the same for other "end of season" goods, like turkeys for Xmas and thanksgiving. Once the holidays are over, those are dirt cheap here. The coal price just went up here :( I do wish now I stocked up like I wanted to a few weeks ago.

3. Nov 11, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Need to fill my tank, maybe this week. It's always a wallet issue :D

YES. I don't use a lot of turkey because only one here. But, I do buy during the seasonal price downs. It's a great meat anytime during the year, not just holidays. Because it's a large amount of poultry at once, suspect that's why we cook less often. I often buy just the breast, smaller & sandwich maker.

sumi likes this.
  4. Nov 11, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I love buying turkeys when they are really cheap. I often buy a couple just before Thanksgiving, when they have specials like Turkey for $.39 a lb if you buy $50 of groceries. I remove the wings, 1 breast roast and drums and freeze them separately (you haven't had buffalo wings until you try Turkey Buffaloes) then I dice and can up the rest, as well as turkey broth from the carcasses. Even with only 1 person, if you canned it in pint jars you it would be usable amounts.