Buy, sell, trade.....what do you have and what do you need?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am getting increasingly concerned about the lack of availability of basic ingredients and supplies for my from-scratch lifestyle. So I thought I'd start this thread....maybe some of us can offer some of our excess crops that are shippable to others here, to purchase or to trade.

So post what you have in excess and what you are looking for, and let's see what happens.

I have kefir grains and kombucha scoby's to trade or to ship at cost of shipping. I also have some herbs from my garden, dried, organically produced, like oregano and parsley.

I need a small amount of feverfew and eyebright to make an eyewash for my white poodle. I will grow some next year, but need some to try the recipe for now. Like a half cup of each.

We could also arrange to split a bulk order if it is feasible (feasable?)

I would like to know if anyone out west can get me some cheap but good quality wheat berries (soft white and/or hard red) and oat groats for home rolling in bulk, and ship them. It would cost me about $100 if I bought it from any online company I can find, about $50 for the product and the same for shipping. Some of you can get it by the sack for $10 or so. Shipping might still be very high, but that would really save me some moola.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a well established feverfew plant, but I didn't save any from last year. (I had cut some and laid it out to dry and then it rained like mad...and I forgot it was out there :p)

I will let you know when I can cut some off and if you haven't gotten your own by then, we could do some kind of trade.

I also have for trade or sale...
Organic Daikon Radish Seed
Organic Cress Seed
White Dutch Clover Seed
Butternut Squash Seed
Basil

I will have this available in Spring/Summer
Welsh Harlequin duck hatching eggs
Welsh Harlequin/Runner cross hatching eggs
Quail hatching eggs
Thyme
Greek Oregano
Sage
Sunchoke root
Rhubarb root
Rosemary
Daylily root

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cheap but good quality wheat berries (soft white and/or hard red)

I wonder if Smart & Final have this? They have changed ownership a few times in the last 10 years, so maybe not anymore as their focus has changed. I don't have one near us since we've moved. I can check online tho for you.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, their website is useless for sure. The nearest one is Lodi, north of Stockton. I'll keep it in mind for our next trip to the Central Valley.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'll check around for you Free. I am sure it is available here, since my community is really into organics and heathfoods. I have purchased small amounts of grains for home use at a local (1/2 hour drive) farm stand. They repackage it from bulk to sell to us consumers.

ETA: I posted on our local chicken chat group. I figured it is probably the fastest and most efficient way for me to find a good source that is also reasonably priced.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Wifey, be sure to save those daylily roots for OFG..... I hear they are her favorites :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh oh...there is joke in there I missed I think...

(They ARE edible :D )

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wouldn't want ya to be in the dark.....

Ala OFG~

It took a while to find this property. Not only was I shocked at these rural nabob's version of the real estate game....we just couldn't find any place. First, it was hard to find properties over 10 acres. Then there were the 'deed restrictions' that specifically said I couldn't have pigs, or chickens, or a certain kind of fence. Are you kidding? Aren't we in America? Who came up with that stupid rule? So many of the properties were ruled out right off the bat. We also had to stay within driving distance of the nearest bigger city where The Big Man worked. It seemed hopeless.

But then, one day my friend and real estate agent, Lyn, called excitedly to tell me there was a new listing. A house in the right county, with 15 acres, and an existing business a nursery. I knew before we saw it that this would be our new place. I wanted to start a nursery at the old farm! And this one had a nursery already!? It was perfect! In an Amish town! And close to a bigger town that had... a Starbucks! I was sold.

When we arrived I jumped out of the car and started walking the property. It was late winter so most everything was dormant. But I thought to myself as I was walking across the only flat area in the yard that this would be the perfect spot for a garden. I started designing an English garden x French potager.

The hen house would need some work but it wouldn't take much. I saw that the owner came out to talk to Lyn. I saw them smiling and nodding pleasantly. Lyn walked across the flat part of the yard to me.

So this is where my garden is going to be. I said gleefully, gesturing around. Just as soon as I mow off these hideous weeds!

She kinda shook her head and said, No.. I don't think you want to do that. This is where the day lilies are planted.

The what?

The day lilies Said Lyn. Their nursery they grow day lilies. This is it.

Oh no. I said and looked around to see that those stupid, ugly, scrubby 'weeds' stretched in all directions. I was standing in a field of them. There was no green house. No work benches, no planting beds.. nothing but day lilies peeking out of the frozen ground. There were no roses, no petunias, no pansies... not even a shrubbery. Just day lilies. Hundreds.. no..Thousands of them.

Oh no. I said again. This can't be. I HATE day lilies! They are the only flower I don't like! I cant grow them! Say it ain't so!

But it was.

:bun

Latest posts