1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Homemade weed killer - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Buying more brew gear

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrealCritter, May 11, 2019.

1. May 12, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

We didn’t pay a dime for them. He went to a bar where they were tossing them out and got them free. Doesn’t hurt to ask!

sumi likes this.
  2. May 12, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

The six swivel tops I picked up yesterday are quarts (US 32 oz) plus the needed head space. The US made ones are getting harder to come by. Plus the newer ones are very thin glass in comparison to the older ones. I suspect most bottles are made in China now. I've see a lot of 11oz bottles in 6 packs at stores. My guess is those are metric bottles and require a metric size cap and bell for your capper in order to recap them, so I don't bother with metric bottles and twist cap bottles aren't even wort messing with trying to recap.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  3. May 12, 2019
    CrealCritter

They still make those tinned kits. They are the easiest to brew. Already pre-hopped, all you do is add water, table sugar and yeast. Yeast even comes with the kit. They are sold in a lot of places and the prices are all over the board, shop around if you want to try some.

https://www.muntonshomebrew.com/home-beer-kits/muntons-beer-kits/

4. May 12, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That may be how I start. I fully intend to - I love beer! Don't drink much of it these days, but enjoy a cold bottle on a hot day - with bar-b-que or mudbugs! Let me get myself retired and I'll be following in your footsteps! :)

5. May 13, 2019
    CrealCritter

This should keep me in bottles for a little while. There are a few cases of old ones from the 70's also. Best $25.00 I've spent in a while, it's gonna be fun peeling labels and cleaning them all. But it beats $12.00 a case plus tax & shipping for new ones all day long. Now I just need to find a spot to stack them up.
    IMG_20190513_160949672_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190513_161026473.jpg

IMG_20190513_161001034_HDR.jpg

6. May 16, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    CrealCritter

Getting ready to bottle Oktoberfest that's been lagering 6 weeks. Figured I would de-label and clean 2 1/2 cases of the beer bottles I picked up Monday. All of the bottles are what they called bar deposit bottles back in the 50's through the 80's. These are the ones that got delivered to bars or taverns to be picked up and refilled by beer companies and redelivered over and over again. They are a lot thicker bottles than if you bought the same bottled beer at the liquor store, because they are meant to be refilled many times over.

I was really surprised to find a Ball beer bottle. I had no idea Ball made beer bottles but apparently they did at one time.
    IMG_20190516_241412367.jpg

I searched the internet and only thing I could find is this at the link below. Mine is a lot different than the one pictured there though. Mine shows its age and seems like it was in circulation a long time. Obvious by the worn bottom.
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/155980-beer-bottle-ball-in-cursive-on-bottom

I thought it was a pretty cool bottle, so I set it aside for my wife, who likes to collect old Ball canning jar stuff. I bet she'll turn it into something useful around the kitchen.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 8:10 AM