Buying/Selling for PT Income -Ending early

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Have fun today!

We've done the flea market thing off and on over the last 6 years, mostly because we needed to earn some kind of living due to E hurting his back. We really like the Treasure Island flea market in Wintersville, Oh. It's a newer market, and the set up is only $10, and after making back our set up and gas, we normally averaged $80-$100. We usually leave to set up at 7 am, arrive to set up by 8 am, market opened at 9am. By 1 pm it would be slowing way down, so we'd pack up and go home. We only hit this market on Saturdays, and we discovered that anything and everything sells there! Also, it was closer to home for us and not a hassle to take kiddos.

We also like the Hartville Fleamarket, and as it's a bigger market, we'd set up by 7 am because first customers are at your tables by then. This market vendors start packing up around 1 or 2 pm depending on what area of the market they are set up (as in how far away from the pavillion vendors). On a good day here, we'd clear $300.

E learned a system off his mother. He knows what to look for at yard sales and auctions, and he buys at a low price and tries to at least double the $.

Ernie also sets out a quarter table, or a box of kids toys for a quarter. He sells nothing for less than 25 cents. :lol:

We started out selling things we personally owned, until we had a little money in our pocket to buy stuff. The upside to starting out with our own possessions, I learned not to form too much attachments to material things!

Over the last couple years I've also hit the poultry swap in Mt. Hope with Becca! Not counting what I have spent out to bring home new birds :rolleyes: I have made between $100+ to $300 at the swaps, over a 2 day period. At the swap, it's not just poutlry. Exotic pets, farm implements, and a few misc vendors can be found there.

I also know E watches for used USA made tools at sales, and if he already has or doesn't need what he buys, he puts it with the sale stuff. :)

It really is more of a hobby for us, even though the little bit of extra income has helped our family. We haven't been able to go set up at all this year, other than going to Mt. Hope with poultry. Last year I think E may have gone with his dad to set up 1 or 2 times.

Oh I almost forgot, I also hit the local livestock auction to sell poultry and baked goods (not in the same week lol) and Rogers Friday Livestock auction when I can. Hoping to be setting up as a vendor at Rogers this next summer selling baked goods and our misc. items! :D And our local farmers market!

Hoping we can get back into the swing of things this next spring!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Quail -sounds like you guys are able to do quite well in the markets you've found!

Court Days yesterday was amazing. There were acres of booths. Some of the prices were reasonable if you were buying for yourself but nothing to buy at a bargain and resell in town.

Originally I was going to give my experiment another couple of weeks but I'm going to stop here. It's good money for us as a hobby. But, on the financial time frame we're on, it's not going to get us where we need to be. One of the positives has been how much fun I was having and how many neat people I was meeting. One of the downsides has been the amount of time it is taking that is taking away from my food prep time. I don't want to loose the ground I have made on my health front. It's also looking like the farm auctions are starting to wind down for the season so I didn't have anything lined up for the next couple of weeks other than garage sales.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
We have always done this as a "side job" sort of. I forgot that for a while we bought storage units and resold items up in Cheyenne. We always made money but not in a timely manner. It sure is fun when you find something you know will work for you. DH says it is like a treasure hunt!

Latest posts