Buying/Selling for PT Income -Ending early

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought some bedsheets at the local Salvation Army store for 25 cents a piece... one was Rainbow Brite, one Popples, and one Fraggles... I sold them individually on Ebay. The popples one sold for the most to someone in Japan for $47US! I was SO excited!

I'd love to be able to do stuff like this on a full time basis... I'm dreading going back to work in November (I'm still on maternity leave)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
I bought some bedsheets at the local Salvation Army store for 25 cents a piece... one was Rainbow Brite, one Popples, and one Fraggles... I sold them individually on Ebay. The popples one sold for the most to someone in Japan for $47US! I was SO excited!

I'd love to be able to do stuff like this on a full time basis... I'm dreading going back to work in November (I'm still on maternity leave)
Wow! I would never have thought of that... Did you know they were collectible or just buy them on a whim and put them on e-bay to see what would happen? Runs off to e-bay to check the selling price of sheets....

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh my!!! You're not kidding. Check this out , a popples twin flat sheet and a pillowcase with a ripped seam but no stains at $52. Whoot! You've got a winner there!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
hwillm1977 said:

Wow! I would never have thought of that... Did you know they were collectible or just buy them on a whim and put them on e-bay to see what would happen? Runs off to e-bay to check the selling price of sheets....
I knew that original Fraggles stuff can be collectible so I just bought them on a whim because they were all 80's cartoon stuff... the starting prices of my auctions were only a dollar since I figured I would triple my money that way... instead I made almost $100 off the three sheets. They were in pristine condition too, looked like they had never been on a bed. I always keep my eye out on Ebay for things that are selling (certain brand names, etc...) so that if I'm at the thrift store I know what could sell for more than the thrift store is asking.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I invest about 15 minutes every morning reading every listing in the farm & garden, housewares and free section on our craigslist. Then every few days, I'll check the business section, antiques, tools and sporting goods.

E-bay seems to have gotten so huge to me, do you have certain categories that you watch for prices on or do you just randomly look around and see what catches your eye?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Do you ever have a forehead smacking moment? I've never more than glanced at the wanted ads on craigslist because I just didn't care that people want a windshield for their jeep or a free doghouse...

But now that I'm trying to make $$... it is a whole list of what people are willing to pay for. I found another person who buys non-fiction and Kentucky history books. I also found someone else who is willing to pay for any old glass bottles marked with Ford, KY on them.

Every time I see something that seems like something I might run across, I'm now copying and pasting the ad into a file so I can keep track of it all.

I'm also taking the time to glance through the collectibles category, although a lot of that stuff seems to require specialized knowledge in a particular brand, etc.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
This thread is so much fun. :lol: I would have loved the Popples sheets, but I wouldnt' have paid that money for them. What an awesome deal! I wish I had the time to commit to sales like that, but heck, I can never find enough time in the day! :barnie

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Sold the motorized apple cider press last night and quadrupled my $.

Lady who bought it has a small farm south of here, has an orchard, goats, turkeys and chickens. She also has a line on some raw milk for me!!! It was very clandestine. She asked if I ever made cheese and I said no and that I didn't have access to raw milk. Big Pause. Thinking... Well, she couldn't tell me who but she would pass along my # to someone and they would contact me. If I didn't hear from said mysterious milk seller in one week, call her back to follow up and she would take it from there...

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
she couldn't tell me who but she would pass along my # to someone and they would contact me
That's usually how it works here in our neck of the woods, too. Sometimes you'll get a call from someone within several hours. And sometimes you will never get a call. I have been told that's a way of filtering out the "desirable" from the undesirable" buyers.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Here's a link to the auction I'm attending tomorrow. I think DH will be coming with me as they split into two auction rings at about 1pm. We're taking the truck and trailer, several old towels/blankets/cardboard as packing material and the handtruck for loading. I'm also packing a picnic lunch and dinner, and we're bringing a thermos of hot water for hot chocolate/ hot tea. I'm packing everything up to be ready tonight so we can hit the road bright and early in the morning!

Some of the items I've got my eye on include: the yard machines tiller, the wood pestles, all of the cast iron, the concrete turkey lawn ornament, the marquette battery charger, the blue mason jars, the 6 dozen galvanized egg carrier, all of the butter churns and molds, all of the crocks, the big cast iron on tripods, the double galvanized wash tubs, the grain grinder, a couple of the enamelware pieces, the dough bowl, and the coleman 5000w generator.