CA drought

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just a little set of steps in a bigger, better, longer journey.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Jamie, don't know if you'd be interested or not, but I saw directions (I think in Back to Basics) for an indoor container garden. It was done on a shelf that was built more like steps.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FJ - sounds like you've got the right attitude. After all, "they" say that its not about the destination, it's about the journey. Anytime you miss schlepping water, or weeding gardens, or shoveling stinkiness - just ask me how much FUN I'm having.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Deb - I just don't have the room/extra space for it.

FEM - whew, I thought I was going to get an invite to come help if I truly missed it. LOL. Heaven knows, my friends have all offered their projects as an outlet for my longing to get my hands dirty. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well- if you truly miss it you may always consider yourself invited to come help!!!

Why didn't I think of that....???

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mud. The new make-up. Splattered on my face when the horses run to me because I have a feed bucket. Mud. Rubber boot sucking mud. Sock in the mud. Mud. Skeered to complain because this is first really wet winter in 3 years. Mud. Drought will make one truly enjoy mud.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You musta got some of the same stuff we got! But, I think you got a whole lot more than we did. I thought we must've got a couple inches by the sound of it last night, but when I went out today it's not quite that bad. Wet - but not flooded. Here's hoping for some sunshine!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's the only good thing about all this cold we're getting. We don't have any mud. However, they're calling for rain on Monday, so I'm sure we'll have mud next week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, I got a nice dose of mud in the face yesterday! My LGD came running up to the fence and decided to jump up and put her muddy paws on the top rail. Well the fence is a bit over 5 feet tall so when she stands up with feet on the fence her feet are about at the level of my neck and lower face. Just use your imagination... I hear a mud facial is all the rage - but prolly not when it's mixed with horse, chicken, goat and goose poop!

My mama goat still has diarrhea....it's definitely thickened up some, but not gone. Her attitude is good and she's still taking care of her babies - but this needs to stop. She's been getting cocci treatment in her water, she's been wormed twice now, her appetite is good but of course she's not getting anything but grass hay right now. I need to get her some probiotics and see if I can get her gut flora reestablished. Always summpin...

I heard from the folks I sold the goose to. He seems to be settling in and they just love him. And, I think...maybe...one of my girls is starting to set. She was on the nest last night at feeding time and she was on the nest this morning.... so maybe she stayed on it all night. But, the other female just seems to be slacking. I thought they were both laying and were going to sit communally - but I dunno. It seems she's out living the high life while her sister is doing all the work.

Had a thin layer of ice in the water buckets this morning, and heard that we're s'posed to get another cold blast early next week too. Hope my little 'mater plants survived last night cuz I didn't cover 'em. I'm a bad mama gardener...

Got an email that my meaties shipped yesterday. Hoping they don't get chilled in tansit. That would not be so good. :(