Cabbage recipes?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts as a full-on cabbage recipe, but it's my favorite thing to do with cabbage:

baked chicken and veggies

1 smallish chicken (maybe 3-4 pounds), whole
1 head cabbage, chopped into small-ish (maybe 1" square?) pieces
a good-sized handful of potatoes
at least 2 carrots... maybe 4 or 5?
1 large onion, chopped up
1 winter squash, peeled and cubed
1 lemon (or you could use an apple)
1/2 cup white wine
a spoonful of flour
some butter
some herbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat some butter (maybe 2 Tbsp.) in a large pot or dutch oven with an oven-safe lid. When it's hot, put all the veggies in with a little salt, and saute them on high heat until the onion looks translucent and the cabbage has shrunk. Toss the white wine in there and let it cook down for a minute or two.

Meanwhile, salt and pepper the chicken, and put some butter and herbs between the skin and the breast meat. Chop the lemon in half and stuff it in the chicken's cavity. Toss the rest of the herbs (fresh or dry, no matter) in with the veggies, along with a heaping spoonful of flour for a thickener, and stir it up. Make a little hole in the middle of the pot for the chicken. Put the chicken, breast side up, in the pot with the veggies, and cover the pot. Put it in the oven until the chicken's done, maybe an hour or so, depending on your chicken. I always use a meat thermometer 'cause I never can tell when it's done.

When it's all cooked, and the veggies have become a big mess of starchy, cabbagey goodness, take the chicken out and let it rest for a second. Carve it up, squeeze the lemon from the cavity onto the chicken meat, and serve them tasty veggies up with some chicken. I make this maybe once every couple weeks with whatever veggies I've got on hand, but the squash, potato, and cabbage version that happens this time of year is my super-favorite. There you have it.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried a new recipe just a couple of weeks ago using shredded cabbage instead of lasagna noodles for a really good low-carb (necessary for me) meal.

Just shred your cabbage and stir fry until it starts getting tender. Fry up some ground beef with onion and mix with a good pasta sauce (I used one with mushrooms).

Layer ground beef mixture, then cabbage, then mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and repeat layers. I added a good bit of both cheeses to the top and baked until bubbly and cheese is turning golden.

We loved it.

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One of my favorites is my version of "halushki", not sure of the spelling.

I saute a large onion, chopped with a bit of olive oil and then add one pound of sliced Kielbasa sausage. When the sausage is browned I add a half a head of chopped cabbage and saute that until the cabbage starts to soften. I add a cup of chicken stock and cook that until the cabbage is to my liking and then the whole thing gets added to about a pound of cooked homemade egg noodles (cooked in chicken stock). Stir and serve.

I sometimes add some thyme or rosemary, depending on what is in the garden or on hand. It's one of those comfort food recipes for me.

Tami :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love stir-frying cabbage with onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes. Will be doing this tonight for supper with DH's family along with a crockpot pork roast and cranberry sauce.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pork roast. big time yum and cabbage goes so well with pork I think!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chefmom
I never heard of that. But that would be a hubby favorite. Thanks because this one of those 'what do I make different' meals and now I have one that he would love!

I make tons of variations for all meats/sausage and this is not one I have made. Stick to your ribs for sure!

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick

I think it has a Polish origin. I have eaten "halushki" in restaurants and at weddings over the years and it is just a sauted cabbage in butter with egg noodles. It is usually an oil slick with little flavor.

I was on a sausage kick a few years ago, I just couldn't come up with enough different sausage dinners to satisfy me!! I decided to try my own version with the sausage and the cabbage and noodles with less butter and more flavor and it is really good.

Another Polish sausage dinner we love is in the crock pot. I put the one pound sausage in the bottom of the crock pot and top with 2 pounds of sauerkraut. Cook all day on medium or high, and then I make a drop biscuit dumpling and drop on top (still in the crock pot) and cook on high until done, about 25 minutes. The dumplings take a little longer in the crock pot than they would if you made this in a large pot on the stove. I sometimes toss a spring of rosemary in with the sausage and sometimes thyme and rosemary in the dumplings, but it's good without too.