Cackling Ranch - A journal of things and stuff.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband thinks I'm losing it.

Maybe I am.

My horses decided to tear down a section of fence today because they're total butts. The grass is always greener on the other side, I suppose.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On another note, the peppers are growing really well and some of them are starting to turn. My herbs and spices, however, are going brown and dying on me. Maybe they don't like their life on the porch. I need to move them into a more shaded spot.

The goats had another fecal today. Egg count is going down but not where it needs to be. The horses of course tore down the fencing on the new pasture I was going to rotate the goats into. They did it because I hadn't fully finished tightening the panels to the t-posts and when they leaned on them a whole section came down.I'll fix it Thursday when I'm off.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I panned on getting the fencing fixed today. Instead, I took the goats for a walk around the property, did laundry, watched the goats eat weeds in the front yard for several hours, took a nap, folded laundry, and went to town. Off days are few and far in between. That nap was amazing!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That all sounds immensely better than fixing fencing! Glad you got a relaxing day!

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is!!!

When I was out watching the goaats I thought, I'll just work on this while it's shady.

NOOOO.

It was almost 100, if not more than 100, all day today. Never checked but it was HOT HOT HOT.

I didn't go out to feed everyone until 7, it was way to hot to feed before that. No one would've eaten anyways.

Got a call from the vet today, the last fecal I dropped off shows dropped FEC's on the girls. GOOD. It's WORKING!

I also got 2 jalapenos and 3 cherry tomatoes out of the garden today, they didn't make it inside.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Cow - you ate jalapenos in the garden? I'd devour the tomatoes - but the peppers go straight to DH!

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ate them first, then washed them down with the tomatoes! I was going to wrap them in bacon and stuff them with chicken and cheese but... They didn't make it.

Forgot to post this. The girls spent a majority of their morning trying to pull this poor tree down. They weren't successful, but they did tear a few branches down... I ALMOST got all of the seniors in this shot. Half the herd is as close to almost as I've got in a while!

goatscrop.jpg

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My garden is struggling with this heat..

2 whole tomatoes, 2 jalapeno, and 4 chilli peppers today.
19399876_10154653421148837_5325342559483393707_n.jpg

On the bright side all of my "junior" hens are getting ready to start laying. Little faces are turning red, combs and wattles are appearing, and I STILL don't have nesting boxes built. OOPS. They're so cute.

Anyone know how to sex Cochins? I've never had them before and I think I have 5 roosters and 3 hens but I'm not sure.