Calendula - Son may have Tourette's

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Political Views: "To each his/her own."

What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?

A 5 ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:welcome

The good thing about living in good ole Wisconsin is that your garden will really grow :D

I grew up in Wausau. GO PACKERS!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Wifezilla! My hubby is a big packer fan too :D Our garden normally does very well. Last summer was a really wet one, however, so our potatoes did not fare as well as in other years. Cucumbers loved it though!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Naturally, being Wisconsin cheese heads, our family loves cheese! I have experimented a little in the past with making my own cheese. The first time I made cheese it was using a recipe from the book "The Idiots Guide to Self Sufficient Living" by JD Belanger. It is a simple recipe using milk and vinegar, and makes a soft, bland cheese. It was easy to make, and I put it in the sauce for some Fettucini Alfredo I made (I even made my own noodles!) and it was very good!

So last weekend, I decided I wanted to try to make some mozarella cheese. I checked out a book at the library "The Complete Guide to Making Cheese, Butter and Yogurt at Home." I bought 2 gallons of milk, some rennet tablets, and I had the rest of the ingredients on hand already. Well, I am sorry to report that my first attempt at making mozarella cheese failed miserably :( The darn stuff refused to curd. I am thinking its because it was store-bought milk and was pasturized, but I don't really know for sure. I saved what I had, and drained the whey, so now it is the consistency of cream cheese. I am going to use it in a recipe that calls for cream cheese and see what happens.

I don't know if there are any cheese makers out there who could offer up some advice? In the meantime, I am going to take a break from cheese-making, and try my hand at making butter. And figure out what to do with all that leftover whey...

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:welcome We're on a 1/4 acre lot in the city here. Got out and dug in the garden today!