Californians.... You're Toast!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Bring it on!!! I'm ready!!!
Ditto!

Besides, this morning I was snow sledding with the kids and tomorrow we may hit the beach. May as well enjoy life before we all die in that catastrophe.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds to me like we, here on SS, are all familiar enough with our own particular potential disasters that we are OK with them, and as prepared as we can be. The others though, they scare us, because we aren't familiar with them. I have never lived through a hurricane, so that scares me; earthquake ... not so much. For others it is the opposite. But there are a lot of people apparently who are even less able to face reality, and continue to build in flood zones, or live through a hurricane, but still neglect to prepare for the (inevitable) next one, or learn where the gas shut off is when they live in earthquake country. We all have our own potential disasters waiting for us; the only stupid ones are the ones who won't prepare for *whatever*, or who won't learn from past events. That said, my potential disaster now is wildfire, and that worries me quite a bit.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with you there ORChick, With considering moving to Mo. tornadoes scare me to death. My Aunt says they are no big deal. They have never had one come into the hills where they live.

I think I would need some good calming tea my firs year there. :hide

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am with Tanks...bring it!

I will take a little ground shaking here and there over other potential disasters....even if/when we have a big one. After all I am a California girl, I have had earthquake drills all my life and at least I know what to do!

Plus, I spent the day lounging at the beach yesterday, in the SUN! I actually broke a sweet while sitting in my chair watching my DD play in the water with her friends. And we saw a pod of dolphin jumping along the break line.

Storm schmorm.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I agree with you there ORChick, With considering moving to Mo. tornadoes scare me to death. My Aunt says they are no big deal. They have never had one come into the hills where they live.

I think I would need some good calming tea my firs year there. :hide
Just go down in the cellar and bring a mattress to pull down over you.
That always confused me. What if the whole house fell on you - I don't think a mattress would protect you - maybe from flying objects, but you'd smother to death.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's actually very possible.

When I was a child, there were two little girls who were frightened by the storm. They got on the bed and put pillows over their heads. A car was blown in on top of them. By the time they moved the car, the girls had smothered. :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
That's actually very possible.

When I was a child, there were two little girls who were frightened by the storm. They got on the bed and put pillows over their heads. A car was blown in on top of them. By the time they moved the car, the girls had smothered. :(
See, I have never known anyone who was injured in a quake. Now when the big one hits, well that will be another story.

I meant to mention that as I was leaving the beach parking lot (shores) there was a new sign.....Tsunami exit this way with an arrow. It was not there last summer.