Calling on horse people for an opinion!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a grey thoroughbred who had melanoma around his tail and some along his neck and the side of his face. I was told not to worry about treatment until they were affecting him in a negative way... (I paid $300 for him, 14 years old, trained but severely starved jumper)

In the three years I had him they never once affected him, or changed in any way. Unfortunately his legs gave out long before the melanoma affected him and he was put to sleep at 17 years old.

Casper's melanoma looked more like extra large fly bites... just lumps under his skin (his were not attached to muscle tissues underneath), so if yours looks like a wart it may be something else?

I'm also just a backyard owner, but just dropping in my experience :)

Sometimes the cheap purchase price doesn't work out in the long run... you may be better off spending a few thousand on a really well broke, quiet, HEALTHY 8-14 year old horse that is an easy keeper. It's not hard to take any horse and ride them in a pleasure class (or just for fun on trails).

I bought Casper really cheap, then he required supplements to stay sound (at about $120/month), also stifle injections every 3 months (at $270 each), also extra feed to keep weight on (his feed bill was $90/month, on top of the feed included in his board at the barn), also chiropractic adjustments every 2 months (at $120 each)... and with all that he stayed ridable :)

Me and my baby:
Caspers-Hair-Cut.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm not an arabian fan either, but the older well trained arabians are great horses imo. Ours was fantastic! He was built like a short, stocky quarter horse with a barbie doll face and had a beautiful long mane and tail.

If everything the horse's owner says is true, then it seems like a nice horse. If the wart hasn't changed in the last 3 years, it seems more like a sarcoid than skin cancer.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, with that info, I would say go ahead and purchase the horse, it sounds like a nice one and would make a fine purchase. This family is going through what alot of others are right now. The one thing I will caution is, good horses dont last long, so what ever your decision,make it cuz it may not be there for much longer.
Me, if I was this comfortable with this horse as you are and your family, I would have the trailer on the truck when I went to go see her next. And bring her home. Just my 2 cents worth. (well, that might explain why we have 16 horses!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

opiemaster! Too funny! I don't have 16, but I do have 3 misfits that nobody wanted. :p

Honestly, that arab would already be in my backyard. :p Hey sufficientforme, where do you live?? :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks UGHHHH I just wish I felt better about it, I think I should just bite the bullet and pay the vet. If he was not GORGEOUS and so well trained I would have moved on to keep looking for a horse for my kids.

I understand that I can pick up a trail horse anywhere, however I am also looking for a horse that will teach them the ropes of the show arena. They really want to show horses and he is a gorgeous mover. Our priorities are not spending thousands on a horse right now, we have other goals, but I still want the kids to have this experience they want so much. I hope that came out right, but basically there are limits with the spouse as far as I can go but he'd spent thousands on a vet bill if necessary :barnie

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea, no kidding BBH, LOL . Have trailer,, will travel.
Well, I cant say that right now as we blew a tire on the trailer and had to "limp" it home from the last adventure. :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
How much is your vet bill going to be to do a vet check + a trip charge?

Perhaps the horse's owner will give you a discount if the horse passes with flying colors and you end up buying it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I left a message with the owner about having a vet out, I am waiting to hear back if they are receptive to the idea and cost involved. I have already talked down the price of the horse by hundreds and would not feel right knowing the situation of job loss expecting more, this was probably a really expensive animal in his younger days and WELL worth what I am getting it for compared the the others we have viewed in the last 6 months.