Calling on horse people for an opinion!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe everything happens for a reason and the search goes on.....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am all about buying an old horse for starting your kids on. Even if a little medical maintenance is necessary. Better to pay a for a little vet care than a hospital bill for the kids.

When my mom brought home a 18 year old QH that had been around the block twice for my sis to start on my dad hit the ceiling. She paid $800 for him and my dad was convinced he was so old he would be dead by the next morning. He did die ... of course he was 34 years old and had safely carried my sister about a million miles. Including lots of blue horse show ribbons in his legacy.

Keep looking they are out there and in this economy even some of those really GOOD old campaigners are being sold at a dirt cheap price.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My daughter's first "big horse" was a Morgan/Appy that we bought when he was 23. He had evented up to Prelim in his youth. That horse was worth his weight in gold, and died, eventually, at 36. He taught many beginners to gallop cross country in those years other than my daughter.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Look at this fat little cherub! Meet "Peaches" http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/grd/1642204138.html

I want her!

ETA: in case the ad is gone later, it says: Free Pony!!! Peaches is a great little pony, she is 22 years old, 14 hands and is dead broke and bomb proof. She is sound and great for shoers, vets, and ties just fine. She is a very easy keeper. She would be great for a little child who has some knowledge about horse riding. She is free to good home. Feel free to email, she is still here.

Then it has a couple of cute photos showing a big, fat black pony with a tiny little girl on her back. SOOOO CUTE!!!!! I've got to stop looking at her!!!!! (Did I mention she is FREE?)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am posting this here cause I know you will all understand.

We had to put down one of our POA ponies tonight. :hit

She had colic and when the vet did his exam he discovered a tumor in her abdomen about the size of a football. Probably melanoma was the diagnoses. Further testing concluded that her intestine was blocked.

She was in a lot of pain and there was really no chance for recovery so we (actually D1) made the hard right choice. Her pasture companion for the last 17 years was with her to the last and suffering a lot of loneliness tonight.

We have owned her since she was 9 years old. All of my kids learned to ride on her and showed her in both 4-H and other youth shows in our area for many years. She excelled at Western Pleasure, Horsemanship, and Western Riding. She had gaits like the best smooth horse you have ever ridden. Her canter just floated you along. She was great with my kids. On one occasion she even jumped in to defend my daughter from another full size horse's attack. Protecting her like a mare with her foal. You could ride her with a string around the neck and she was flawless.

Kelly was an awesome pony and really gave my kids a lot of good life lessons along the way. They would not be the people they are today without those experiences.

Kelly%20pony2.JPG

Minidoka S (Kelly) age 27

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I'm so sorry Farmfresh...

It sounds like it was the right thing to do, but that doesn't make the loss any easier. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We are all doing a little better today, even her pasture pal Cayenne. It is always hard to lose a pet and one that you have had for 18 years is even harder to lose. I knew you all would understand. Thanks so much for your hugs. :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sorry to read of your loss. :hugs I'm glad you are doing better today.
It has been over seven years since we had to put down a horse we owned for thirteen years, and I still miss him sometimes.