can chicks squeeze thru poultry wire?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have less than 3 weeks to figure out a 'broody pen' that is seperate from the regular coop to keep Mama & possible babies safe from the rest but we can't really afford to buy any new materials. We do have some poultry wire fencing that could work, but I'm not sure if it would keep chicks in or if they could get thru the holes. Any ideas or experience with this? Thanks for any info

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep. Use hardware cloth with 1/2 or smaller holes.

ETA: Or you could place any solid barrier along the bottom. We found that as long as the barrier is about 10 inches tall, by the time that they can jump to the top, they have grown too large to get through the poultry netting.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm scouting the yard for materials now and will see what we come up with.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since DH took the canopy off his truck, I'm trying to sweet talk him into using that....but I don't think he'll go for it. :/ We do have several 2x2's and wire fencing, but about the only thing to cover the holes would be landscape fabric. Would that work? Just how high can chicks jump anyway?
I'm also thinking about our woodshed & just put something across the open doorway, but it has a concrete floor & would limit pecking/foraging. I'll still be looking out for other possibilities.

ETA: And what about rats? We have been having rat problems although I haven't seen any in a day or two. But just in case......would they kill chicks?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Since DH took the canopy off his truck, I'm trying to sweet talk him into using that....but I don't think he'll go for it. :/ We do have several 2x2's and wire fencing, but about the only thing to cover the holes would be landscape fabric. Would that work? Just how high can chicks jump anyway?
I'm also thinking about our woodshed & just put something across the open doorway, but it has a concrete floor & would limit pecking/foraging. I'll still be looking out for other possibilities.

ETA: And what about rats? We have been having rat problems although I haven't seen any in a day or two. But just in case......would they kill chicks?
If you can secure it well, I suppose that landscaping fabric over the poultry netting would work. Just be sure that there are no fibers or threads that they could pull off and try to eat. I think that cardboard may work better as it would be easier to keep attached to the poultry netting.

Our last bunch was kept corralled by just a square made from 1x12's on edge, and could escape at about 2 weeks. They could make it over the two heights of 1x12's at about 3 or 4 weeks.

Rats can definitely be a problem, and may kill chicks. I had a friend who lost some adult birds to rats once.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I keep mine in a stock tank until they are nearly 16 weeks. Of course I don't have a lot of them. Right now only 2.
K0xxx is right about construction fabric and a few pieces of 3/8" ply wood. I built a nice brooder out of that. Doesn't even have to be plywood but I used the 1/4" construction fabric for the bottom and I think it is only 24" x 24"
Hope this helps. I got the plans out of a book "Building barns and Animal Shelters" (paperback). It works good and is easy to clean.

PRIORITY: ROUTINE

... --- ... / ... --- ...

If you want to know, think, right too!

// -... - //
RPG KQC LBQ

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I say confiscate that camper shell!!

I used an old truck bed trailer and a free camper shell for years to brood my chicks. It also made a great mobile pasture coop for very little investment.

Chick%20Mobile%202a.JPG

trailer%20chicks1.JPG

Feeding was easy as well ... I just opened the tailgate and reached in! ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If you don't need to worry about predators, chicken wire, which is cheap will work effectively to contain them. but will NOT keep predators out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I say confiscate that camper shell!!

I used an old truck bed trailer and a free camper shell for years to brood my chicks. It also made a great mobile pasture coop for very little investment.

http://www.ubuilderplans.com/img/hens/Chick Mobile 2a.JPG

http://www.ubuilderplans.com/img/hens/trailer chicks1.JPG

Feeding was easy as well ... I just opened the tailgate and reached in! ;)
Wow, those weeds are tall--how did you keep the electric netting form shorting out? Weuse the electric netting toom, but need to keep the grass kept trimmed,even witht he bottom wire disengaged.