can chicks squeeze thru poultry wire?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I say confiscate that camper shell!!

I used an old truck bed trailer and a free camper shell for years to brood my chicks. It also made a great mobile pasture coop for very little investment.

Feeding was easy as well ... I just opened the tailgate and reached in! ;)
Wow convenient and secure, nicely done. I love re-purposing things like that. Great improvisation.!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Wow, those weeds are tall--how did you keep the electric netting form shorting out? Weuse the electric netting toom, but need to keep the grass kept trimmed,even witht he bottom wire disengaged.
It did short out. :/ Some of our wonderful curly dock crop. :tongue

I usually went around the edge and cut the weeds out of the way of the netting. We were using the chickens and turkeys that we kept in the pen to eat down the weeds and it worked pretty well. This was taken right after moving the pen and trailer to a new area and before cleaning out the weeds.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh.....I'd love to snatch his canopy BUT he won't do it. I think he's afraid it might get poo on it or something. :rolleyes: That's his he-man stuff.......sheesh! But that's okay, I'll figure out something else.

I'm still thinking of blocking off the woodshed, but how long do the chicks & momma need to be kept seperate from the rest of the chickens? We might need the woodshed before they are ready to join the rest in the coop.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Farmfresh.....I'd love to snatch his canopy BUT he won't do it. I think he's afraid it might get poo on it or something. :rolleyes: That's his he-man stuff.......sheesh! But that's okay, I'll figure out something else.
Tell him poo = no problem! Evidence picture #1
Chick%20Mobile%202a.JPG

Evidence picture #2
Lonesome%20Places%20w%20Mya1.JPG

SAME camper shell! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We pulled it off the chicken trailer, drove it to the car wash and took it on vacation!!

:woot

I am pretty sure this qualifies me for being a redneck! :gig

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:gig :lol:

I'm sure he still wouldn't go for it. He's not so easily convinced ( :tongue that's what I say to Mr Crabbypatty)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Fine then! Men. :rolleyes:

Have you got some spare wood around that you can recycle? If so you can build this ...

Honeysuckle%20House%2020a.jpg

It is a City Biddy Hen House. I sell the building plans for it on my website.

The coop is 3 x 3 and will hold six full sized hens perfectly. It makes a great broody coop and is great to have around for those times you need to isolate a few birds. The picture above is one made by a BYC member from our plan. I love this pic because she has such a nice pen.

RightSide.png

This is a picture of mine. I keep 4-6 laying hens in it. My coop was built almost completely from lumber I had stashed in the garage. Even brand new materials usually cost under $150, but why use new?