Can I get some chicken advice? Update: She's not doing well again

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My 2-year-old barred rock is standing still, head pulled down close to her body, eyes mostly closed, drinking a lot of water. Her crop feels soft and liquidy; her abdomen feels just the same as the my other barred rock's (I couldn't feel a stuck egg). It's not uncomfortably hot here, and the other chickens seem fine. Her face is not particularly pale. Any thoughts on what may be wrong with her?

Thanks very much for any advice. I appreciate it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got nuthin'. I've had two hens in the past that were 'off'. I never could figure out what was wrong. One I kind of caged (just put a big fence ring around her) so the other hens wouldn't pick on her. She got better and was her old self after about two weeks. It was a long two weeks, too, as I kept checking to make sure she had food, water, shade, etc etc.
The other hen was only 3, the last of my original chicks. That one didn't make it in spite of the extra care. :hit

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have you given lots of grit and calcium? My girls were having trouble digesting because they didnt have enuf in the grinder. Seemed to help.

You might try seperating her and giving her some alone time to bounce back. maybe she was being roughed up when you didnt see it and she's hurting. :idunno

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Could it be sour crop? I have never experienced it, but I have read a lot about it on backyardchickens.com

You might want to do a search for that.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would probably pull her into an isolation cage and start her on some Terramycin, just because. I would even go so far as to spoon some into her beak right at first.

She is displaying what is know as "depression" in the chicken symptoms world. Unfortunately that is a very common disease symptom, so almost impossible to diagnose from this alone. Place her isolation cage where you can monitor the color and amount of her feces. That will also often give you a clue. You can detect Sour Crop by smelling their breath.

Do you notice any gasping for air?

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
unfortunately it could be any number of things... i'd also think about possibly worms, or an injury that you can't see. if her crop feels soft, but you don't think it's sour crop, i would wonder if she's not eating.

i would also isolate her (or even cull) and keep an eye on your other hens. good luck with her.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Adding some ACV to the water might not be a bad idea. I used it on one of my ducks when she was "off". Seemed to perk her right up.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday she wasn't eating. I let her free range apart from the others and she pecked around in the dirt. But when I offered her tomatoes, yogurt, and BOSS (which they usually love), she wasn't interested. She didn't have trouble breathing.

Today she seems better. I gave them tomatoes and BOSS again and she went just as crazy for it as usual. She was walking around with the others and seemed fine, so I guess whatever it was has passed.

I wonder if she could have eaten a weird spider or bee or something? Who knows. But I'm glad she's better.

Thanks for the advice! I did a search on BYC but came up with way too much to sift through. I appreciate hearing from the smaller crowd here. :)

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yay. glad she's better. My girls are such babies. I watch them close and love them. I hate when they are feeling bad.