Can I reuse these jar seals if they weren't really used for canning?

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have no idea why my mom bought these jars.. she doesn't can, but she used them to put salsa in them. Just put them in there and put them in the fridge. It's only a couple jars she did this with, but can they be used for canning?

Also.. where can you get new seals and what do you do with the seals once you open something?

Thanks!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The seals which are called the lids are very cheap. A box of 12 for about $1.50 -$1.75. You can find them at Walmart or almost any grocery store. You should not reuse the lids because you may not get a good seal and your food will spoil. The lids are disposable.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks!
So these lids should not be reused?
I know they're disposable, but can they be recycled (not reused)? It just seems like a waste to throw them out with regular trash.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
If you keep other stuff in your jars you can reuse those old lids. I will keep milk in my glass canning jars using the old lids. I also store seed in glass canning jars using the old lids. I save my new lids for canning purposes. For storage purposes those lids work fine.

edited for spelling.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sometimes if I have a used lid I will alter it by painting it on the top or marking it well with a Sharpie marker. Then I will re-use the lid to close jars that hold dehydrated goods or things like harvested dry beans or noodles etc..

This is a way to reuse the lids safely.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, like I said, they weren't used for canning, she just bought them and used them like a regular jar I guess. I emptied the jars out into regular containers, but these lids still should not be used?

Sorry, if I sound repetitive! I'm just making sure!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can use them for other things but I wouldn't use them for canning. If you look at the rubber part on the inside of the lid you will find an indentation. If you try to use it for canning the lid may sit differently on the jar and you won't get a good seal.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have punched holes in the used ones and put fishing line through them to hang in the garden to keep birds out of freshly seeded garden areas.

Otherwise, I use them for pantry storage of items not canned. I also put them in with the general recycling after they have been used for canning.