Can it be salvaged?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Last year, I bought a cast iron fry pan to take when we go camping w/the horses. Somehow or another, it ended up going home w/someone else. They just found it, and gave it back to me. Now, it's all rusty! :( Is there anything I can do to it to salvage it, or would I be better off just using this for something else, and buying a new one?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, it can be cleaned up! Try a wire brush to start with. Someone who works with metals will come up with a better idea, I'm sure, but I'd start with a wire brush and some steel wool. You'll need to re-season it, then it will be good as new.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
yep yep de-rust it and season it, will be good as new. My wife washed my wok and left it in the basement had to do the same thing.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what I did to season it in the first place! This was my first cast iron frying pan.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It may have come pre-seasoned. You can coat it with lard and put it into the oven for a while. You can cool it and do repeat this several times to build up some deep seasoning if you'd like. I find that lard works the best, although I haven't tried tallow, which I suspect would work just as well. I don't like the way veg oil comes out...it can be gloppy and sticky.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could do what I did with an old one that belonged to my mom--it was not only a bit rusty but also had a huge build up of yuck on the bottom from camp fires-- I built a huge bonfire and tossed it in and shoveled coals over it.. next day went out and dug it out of the ashes and re-seasoned by rubbing lard over it and slowly heating it in the oven(about 300 f )over a cookie sheet(for drips ya know) and it is a great pan now.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I like the idea of tossing the whole pan in the fire to get rid of the crud that gets on the outside! Great idea. Next time I come across a pan that is crudded up, that is just what I'll do. :thumbsup

Then season with lard.

BTW it is ok to thoroughly wash your cast iron pan also. For some reason many people believe you should not wash them. A well seasoned pan washes out very nicely, thank you. You can always re-season them, when they start to be sticky. That is what my mom always did.

Sorry, the dishes still need to be washed ;)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Wonder if I can just throw it in my wood stove. :cool:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I set mine in the BBQ grill, turned it on high and let'r go for a couple of hours. After it coled down, I put a good coat of bacon grease all over it and set it in the oven at 300 for an hour. Rinse and repeat the last step 2 or 3 times until your happy with the finish.

Oh ya.....it WILL smoke up the kitchen a wee bit!

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i did the bonfire thing with a lodge skillet years ago and got it to hot and it blew the bottom of it off around the raised ring on the bottom, so be careful not to get it to hot.

Latest posts