Can it be salvaged?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Soon as I get a few extra minutes, I plan on trying this. And, maybe I should look around for some that people are trashing to see what I can do w/them.

I was in the store the other day, and was looking for a small griddle to take camping so I can make pancakes and/or french toast. The only ones I found had grooves in them! Not the best for pancakes. :/

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We torture cast iron and it seems to not mind much. If we get a really rusty or cruddy one at a yard sale, I'll take it into DH's shop and hit it with some of his air tools. If it is a new pan with the not so smooth bottom, I'll grind it flat with one of his air grinders. Makes a lot of sparks and it's kinda fun. After the rust and crud is gone and the metal is smooth, then I'll coat it with lard or render pig fat in the pan. Then we just use it and it get blacker and blacker. We also toss them in the sink with the rest of the dishes. If they are still fairly new and not as black as the rest of them, then soap isn't used but once they are solid dark black, then they are treated just like the rest of the dishes.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd like one of those cast iron dutch ovens.....great for camping and would be wonderful to bake things in the wood stove in when the power goes out.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'd like one of those cast iron dutch ovens.....great for camping and would be wonderful to bake things in the wood stove in when the power goes out.
I've been wanting one of them, too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been working on dutch oven and out door cooking for about a year now. We camp in the desert and have an rv. But I bought the oven, and accessories to use out there. I love cooking outside. One pot meals are so easy and makes for less clean up. I love breakfast scrambles with everything. :drool Takes a bit of time but slow food is good food!!!

g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I was in the store the other day, and was looking for a small griddle to take camping so I can make pancakes and/or french toast. The only ones I found had grooves in them! Not the best for pancakes. :/
Start looking in antique shops. I see griddles most often. I have two that are smooth as a babies' bottom. I love having two if I am making grilled sandwiches or french toast or ployes and want to finish faster. If I had more storage room, I'd get two more for this reason! :p

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditto on all the above. I have always burned the crud off in a fire, then let the fire go out. I also wash mine in soapy water. I love my cast iron skillets. :love Something that is not well known is if you use cast iron cookware, it will keep you from being anemic.

Latest posts