Can we talk about bread making?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SD, my bread machine is called "Breadman"
It's kind of loud, but it sure gets the job done. This one has a display so I can choose the size of loaf, type of bread (french, w wheat, white) or just dough. Mine had a little recipe book that had really crappy tasting bread recipes, so I use my own. I don't use flour marketed for bread machines, I just use whatever I would if I was making it the ol' fashioned way. The only difference is that you put your dry yeast on the top of the flour, instead of proofing it.

Mine is fairly good size, but I don't keep it in the kitchen. I have an area with shelves elsewhere, so that's where I store it.

Oh, I love raw goats milk! I just found out that the neighbors now have goats, so I'm going to see if I can buy some from them, I hope, I hope.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Loud would be fine, Marianne, I'm deaf! lol In fact, real loud would be good as I have some residual hearing and I have trouble cooking because of the silence. :gig Timers and such ya know. Okay, so Breadman would be one to look for but skip the recipe book.

Icu4dzs, I thought goat milk did not contain lactose and that is why lactose intolerant children could drink it? I'm just curious, not lactose intolerant. I have the goats for self sufficiency and brush clearing, not because we cannot drink cow milk.

I have another question...does spelt flour contain gluten? Meaning, could I substitute spelt flower in recipes calling for regular flour?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Icu4dzs, I thought goat milk did not contain lactose and that is why lactose intolerant children could drink it? I'm just curious, not lactose intolerant. I have the goats for self sufficiency and brush clearing, not because we cannot drink cow milk.
As far as I know, based on the research which I published here, there is lactose in goats milk, although somewhat less than cows milk.

I was not aware that lactose intolerant children were given goats milk because of the lactose, but I am aware that the cows milk contains a protein called casein which can be rather allergenic. Most true allergies (i.e. the ones which cause an anaphylactic reaction) are caused by proteins rather than sugars such as lactose.

Lactose intolerance is caused by a deficiency of an enzyme (yes, a long chain protein) called LACTASE) and varies in severity. Some folks just use an oral form of lactase (?Lactaid?) to help break down the lactose in their diet, but mostly the lactose intolerance causes increased "gas" which some folks find offensive. Eating a very fibre rich diet like some of us eat (whole grains, etc) causes a lot of gas but it tends not to have quite as offensive an odor as some other causes.

Cows milk does encourage the increased production of mucus which is why I recommend goats milk to children with allergy problems including eczematoid dermatitis. I believe most childhood allergies are either inhaled or ingested in the diet.

Hope this helps.
Trim sends

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
my machine is called a toast master and it's a big one about a foot long and 6in deep but a foot high it has all kinds of settings but the one I love that sold me on it was the butter setting ..It churns butter , I'm having problems with the final rising too and I'll keep trying until I get it but if I buy one of those mixes in a box it works like a charm so i know it has to be something else I'm doing so better try again:th

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My teenagers actually LIKE that awful fluffy white yucky bread like Wonder and such. Hubby and I enjoy good bread, but my boys won't eat denser breads or artisan breads. Oh darn, all the more for us! :p

But I'm thinking they would not eat the bread machine bread. I was thinking of doing a google search for reviews of bread machines to try and give Hubby some brands to look for and seeing what people are saying. I really don't want to waste money on the wrong one.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
My teenagers actually LIKE that awful fluffy white yucky bread like Wonder and such. Hubby and I enjoy good bread, but my boys won't eat denser breads or artisan breads. Oh darn, all the more for us! :p

But I'm thinking they would not eat the bread machine bread. I was thinking of doing a google search for reviews of bread machines to try and give Hubby some brands to look for and seeing what people are saying. I really don't want to waste money on the wrong one.
I have made lots of bread and started out using the bread machine. However, the worse bread I ever made was the loaf that I made in my bread machine. It was okay but still the worse loaf. I then proceeded to just use the bread machine on the dough cycle only and that works pretty well but the very best bread I make is the way I do it now. I do it all by hand and it's not hard at all to make. You may want to give it a try and I have a great recipe if you would like to try it. This does take some time to make so you will want to do it on a day that you have time to just be in the house. I usually take a couple of days per week to make up bread and I store it in the freezer and set a loaf out when we need it and it's really good and stays fresh that way.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sure, I'd love your recipe. I'm doing it by hand now. My results have been good but not great. I've been using a recipe that is supposed to be more for focotta (sp) bread. I was going to try that oatmeal bread recipe next.

I am home full time now so taking a while to make isn't a problem.