Can we talk about bread making?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lots of good information, Icu4dzs

Yes, I agree, I always try to use small appliances instead of cranking on my big oven. If I use the oven, I always bake several loaves at a time. Using the bread machine is much easier if you are busy but want a loaf of fresh bread. The only issue I have with the hole in the bottom is that I always have to dig the paddle out of the loaf, so it's fairly large. The bread machine that I have is one that my son didn't want, so it's probably fairly old, but it still works well.

As to the cost of homemade bread? If that guy bought small quantites of flour, yeast, etc, then his cost would be considerably higher per loaf than those of us that buy in bulk, or like you, grind your own. Like I said, I was shocked when I read it. I'm sure that most (all?) of the breadmakers on the forum would have a much less cost per loaf.

What a score on the bread insert for your cooker. And the heated towel in the cooler is a great idea.

Yes, SD, slow cooker is the appliance, Crock Pot is the brand name of a slow cooker that a lot of us use (including me, half the time).

Crown of Thorns, this is the recipe for Amish Friendship bread that I use:

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

That link has links to a lot of variations and other things that you can make with the batter.

Remember that you don't have to use one cup of everything on days 6 and 10 (baking day). The only time I do that is if someone wants some starter. You just have to 'feed' it to keep the yeast alive. I always have more than a cup in my freezer bag (I like using a gallon freezer bag instead of a bowl). Just remember to 'burp' the bag periodically. I forgot about it when I first mixed up the starter, had it in a really warm area...when I looked at it, it was a balloon! I can't believe the bag didn't burst. :lol:
You can also bake bread sooner than the 10 days with good results.

I don't use separate bowls for wet and dry ingredients when I make the bread. Just mix all the wet, add all the dry on top (except for the nuts if you use them) and turn the mixer on for a couple minutes. Then stir in the nuts.

I always use cinnamon-sugar to coat the greased pans, and then add cinnamon-sugar to the top of the batter before baking. Good stuff.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'll never forget when I was a kid, my mother made six loaves at a time and let it rise behind the woodstove in a huge mixing bowl with a dish towel on it.

One day, we looked over to see the cat curled up IN THE DOUGH! :barnie

:gig

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That would be oh-so-likely to happen here! :lol:

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last time I made bread I placed it in a sunny window near the stove, and found kitty prints in my dough. Thankfully I always cover my rising dough with a towel! :ep

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well thinking over the electricity issue, I'm wondering if I need to get me a bread making machine after all. So far a plain old bowl has worked well, but I was thinking that in summer I won't want to heat up the house baking bread in the oven and finding a warm spot won't be the problem like it is now.....it will be remaining in the house while the bread cooks!

What wonderful ideas and helps you guys are! I adore this forum, I got so much bread advice, so catered to my interests and needs, so quickly, by asking all of you. I can't wait to try these ideas. I'm preparing a shopping list for hubby right now!

I've seen tons of used breadmaking machines at the goodwill in good condition. I'm clueless what I'm looking for. Since my prime consideration is energy conservation as well as a palatable loaf, does anyone have a machine suggestion for me? I have a VERY teensie weensie counter so size would be an issue as well. Picture my kitchen is about the size of a typical kitchen in a travel trailer.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Lots of good information, Icu4dzs

Yes, I agree, I always try to use small appliances instead of cranking on my big oven. If I use the oven, I always bake several loaves at a time. Using the bread machine is much easier if you are busy but want a loaf of fresh bread. The only issue I have with the hole in the bottom is that I always have to dig the paddle out of the loaf, so it's fairly large. The bread machine that I have is one that my son didn't want, so it's probably fairly old, but it still works well.

As to the cost of homemade bread? If that guy bought small quantites of flour, yeast, etc, then his cost would be considerably higher per loaf than those of us that buy in bulk, or like you, grind your own. Like I said, I was shocked when I read it. I'm sure that most (all?) of the breadmakers on the forum would have a much less cost per loaf.

What a score on the bread insert for your cooker. And the heated towel in the cooler is a great idea.

Yes, SD, slow cooker is the appliance, Crock Pot is the brand name of a slow cooker that a lot of us use (including me, half the time).

Crown of Thorns, this is the recipe for Amish Friendship bread that I use:

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

That link has links to a lot of variations and other things that you can make with the batter.

Remember that you don't have to use one cup of everything on days 6 and 10 (baking day). The only time I do that is if someone wants some starter. You just have to 'feed' it to keep the yeast alive. I always have more than a cup in my freezer bag (I like using a gallon freezer bag instead of a bowl). Just remember to 'burp' the bag periodically. I forgot about it when I first mixed up the starter, had it in a really warm area...when I looked at it, it was a balloon! I can't believe the bag didn't burst. :lol:
You can also bake bread sooner than the 10 days with good results.

I don't use separate bowls for wet and dry ingredients when I make the bread. Just mix all the wet, add all the dry on top (except for the nuts if you use them) and turn the mixer on for a couple minutes. Then stir in the nuts.

I always use cinnamon-sugar to coat the greased pans, and then add cinnamon-sugar to the top of the batter before baking. Good stuff.
O yeah, this comes (again regrettably) from the "Don't ask me how I know this" category but if you are going to use the Amish Friendship bread recipe, PLEASE PLEASE DON'T use soy milk in it.
(remember what I said...don't ask me how I know)...
The soy milk does NOT have lactose in it which is essentially required for the starter to make gas. No gas, no holes in your bread... he said, sheepishly. :hit

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I was wondering something more along the lines would it be safe to use raw goats milk for it?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I was wondering something more along the lines would it be safe to use raw goats milk for it?
Lactose is the only significant sugar found in milk. Lactose is made only by mammals. It is found only in milk. Lactose is a disaccharide consisting of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of glactose linked. This beta glysoside linkage is between carbon 4 of glucose and carbon 1 of glucose.

Constituent Human Cow Goat
Protein 1.2 3.3 3.4
Lactose 7.0 4.8 4.7
Fat 3.8 3.8 4.1
Ash (minerals) 0.21 0.71 0.77
Total solids 12.4 12.8 13.0

Hope this helps.
Best
Trim sends

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to make my bread with goats milk as that's all we use to have for milk and it turned out great...