Can you can soup?

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I am pretty new to all of the self sufficient lifestyle, but my hubby and I are loving it so far. Nothing big just doing what we can with what we have. Anyways, I had a thought. When I make homemade soup I always make way to much, and by the time we are finishing the final spoonful we are both thinking we will never eat another bite of turkey noodle soup :sick! So I was wondering, is it possible to can it? I would think this is probably pressure cooker type stuff, but what order would be right? Would you make the soup then can it, or would you put the ingredients together and can it before it is ever cooked. Or is this not a smart idea?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i've only made soup with raw ingredients, which are then cooked while the jars are processed. If you start with cooked food, I think it'll be overcooked and mushy. But, there's only one way to find out...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can definitely pressure can soup, it turns out best if the ingredients are merely heated together first (rather than cooked for a long time) and there are certain things like noodles (and milk, and thickeners like flour or cornstarch) that can't be canned.

There's more info in this thread :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You probably wouldn't want to can it, but you could freeze that particular portion. I'd disect the ingredients down, and can a base for it then just heat and add the ingredients you didn't can. It is rather easy. It would have to be done in a pressure canner for probably 90 minutes (for quarts) since there is meat. But like Moolie said cornstarch and flour is a no no. She also said milk BUT I have made soup with dairy in it before (milk and butter) and it stores just fine....