Can you freeze corn before you can it?

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Time is the issue. Is it possible to freeze corn then thaw in batches to can at a later date? I use to just freeze but after loosing many 10lb bags of frozen corn to power outage I now want to can it all.
It just all gets ripe at the same time as my FIL plants it with the field corn tractor planter. There is just so much ready at once i thought if it could be cut off the cob frozen and then canned it would reallllly help. I not only have rabbits, chickens, garden, mom in the nursing home, I also have a FT job outside the home.
So you can see why my time is in question here. I use to have summers off at my previous job but now work FT year round and it has been a struggle this year trying to balance it all, and I am not doing a very good job juggling LOL...But it is my first year with trying to "do it all"...so I am trying to give myself some credit for what is being accomplished but still feeling guilty for not getting as much as I use to done.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never done it, but why wouldn't it work? Might be a bit of flavor loss, but I bet it'd still be better than any canned corn you got from the store.

margene

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes you can can corn after freezing. I have done it with good results. Just that, bring to simmer in pot, fill hot jars and proceed with canning instructions for corn.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I freeze corn on the cob with the shuck on it and it tastes incredibly fresh. I cut ends and peel off outer husk only. I have never tried freezing and then canning it but this is a real time saver and it can be cut off after thawing slightly. I don't know if it will help you or not.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me.

Cold food in a hot jar will be a problem, so re-heat it before packing.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just had frozen corn of the cob last night at mom's. They bought it of a road-side farm stand last year, cut it off the cob, and stored it in freezer bags. Tasted like it was fresh off the cob. Don't see why you couldn't can it after, if ya wanted to.