Can you freeze milk?

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Will milk be good once thawed if I was to put the whole gallon in the freezer? Say after a coule of weeks? What about a carton of soy milk can you freeze it? Also what is a good container for frezzing like some homemade soup I made last night, can I just pour it into a gallon zip-lock? I dont want to use up all my tubberware. Thanks in Advance!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have 5 1/2 gals of milk in my freezer right now, it freezes just fine, but you did need to remove some from the jug as it expands when it freezes. Make sure it is completely thawed as it seperates when it freezes, so you need to shake it back up to mix it back up. I have kept milk in my freezer for many mos & no problems. Soy I do not know about as we avoid it like the plauge in our house.
For your soup yes it can go in a ziplock bag to freeze. When you thaw it put the bag in a bowl in case there is a hole in the bag.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HomesteadMom said it great....yup you sure can freeze it! :) Good to have some for backup in winter if you lose power or something...at least you have it!

(But if you own the cow, don't put her in the freezer..HA HA HA HA) just kidding! wierd sense of humor here..HA HA

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok thanks! I thought maybe it would taste funny once thawed. As far as the soy milk, we are having to do this because of lil 1yo has had diarreha and so no dairy. Maybe we'll back to reg milk soon. Thanks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
If you want to freeze the soy test it first. Just put a small amount in a freezer container. Let it freeze then thaw in the fridge. That was how I did my first freezing milk test. I was not sure so I just tested the idea. Now I keep enough frozen milk on hand to last a few weeks. (we go through a gal of milk in 3 days).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We freeze soy milk all the time. No difference in the flavor, texture or taste afterwards! Wish I could find a cow that has soy milk...save me some money! :lol: :D

Latest posts