Can you freeze zucchini or squash?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh believe me 60 was too many big time..LOL...the work was harder than ever...and then also I realized I did not want to breed for selling...cause animals like horses, well, there are enough good ones out there that need homes so stopping the business was a good thing in my opinion.

But I sure love horses like you.

My first horse I bought in Pennsylvania...a Quarter Horse named Willy....I moved him down to NC with me when I came. QH are wonderful horses. Willy lived to 32...but had to put him down for arthritis was super severe.....miss him to this day.........after Willy I ended up wtih gaited horses. Gaited horses are big time down here in the south....but all my gaited horses I ended up riding in hackamores and turned their strides to match QHs....HA HA HA--my hubby Tony thought I was nuts....all that work training gaited horses to ride smooth and I would turn them into QHs...HA HA

oh well....you sure have plenty. 16 is alot of work and YES, you are so right, feed costs and vets, etc. are going up and horse prices are dropping. No one can afford this type of luxury much anymore. Sad too.....and down here in NC all our farm land is becoming homes, no where to ride, trails are gone...ugh

ya can't win!

Do you ride a favorite horse anymore for just fun, or are you filled up with family and work and just can't get to ride? When Nicole was born (3 yr old) I slowed down on riding big time...so I know how horrible it can be not to find riding time.....especially when it sounds like you love it like me so much.

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:D Hello,
I freeze both, different ways.
First I freeze my zucchini by shredding. I use it pretty much in breads and cakes only, anyway.
My squash I freeze just like my okra.
Slice squash...the sooner prepared after picking from garden the better.
Batter it with cornmeal, seasonings, and fry in grease...I know, this may not seem logical...I learned this from my MIL (I did my okra this way anyway, but not my squash)
You only want a little bit of color (barely golden brown) BARELY.
Dip out onto cookie sheets with a fan blowing to cool quickly.
Once cooled place in bags according to your personal helping size.
Press the air out of the bags, and freeze.
When taking from the freezer, place in a skillet of hot grease, fry till your happy (I like mine a darker brown). Serve.
Taste like they are fresh from the garden...
Oh, I do add onions when I fry from the freezer, not when I putting up from the freezer.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one favorite mare. She is my contesting horse. I have showed her every year for the past 4 years expect the year I was pregent. I still rode her at home and at the shows until I was 7 or 8 months along. She is a great horse.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea there is always the favorite horse..LOL

showing is something I did only once a long time ago. I used to jump and fell off going over a 6 ft high oxer....that did it for me...it hurt...LOL...so I switched to western trail riding. safer and I had to work for a living my whole life and couldn't get hurt like I did with that jumping again...LOL

showing is expensive. I guess it saved me money not continuing in that route..LOL
I am sure you enjoy it so much....I hope you can find time to get back into showing. I know when something like that is pulled, you miss it dearly.

Did you travel alot to show or do local shows? Tony showed our spotted saddle horses and travelled to TN, Ohio, etc. Whew..alot of work and money definitely.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use to travel when I was younger. The past couple of years I showed at local shows. I was lucky because there were several around. Now, we have a new fancy arena that just went in about 20 mins from me. They are having any show you can think of there not just horse shows. I can't wait until my stud colt is in the show ring. I plan on showing him in halter by the end of the year. Well atleast that is my plan. Horses are so much fun but expense. A lot of people aren't showing right now. I went to a show last weekend that usually is it's biggest of the year and there were only 10 trailers there. I was sad. I know a lot of people just selling out of all the horses that they have. We are not going to breed any for a couple of years until things get a little bit better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sure yoiu will enjoy showing your stud colt.

wow--only 10 trailers at a show that is the biggest of the year.....that is quite a change.

yes, our local shows have dwindled also. we had a big place called "the Ponderosa" and had tons of shows and USED to be a meeting place for horse people...it is a ghost town almost now....it isn't the same but I am sure things just change, people get out of horses for all reasons, and who knows, maybe it will bounce back up.

with all the building and construction around me trails are gone....so much has changed from 10 years ago and just taking the nag out for a ride was easy....now you can't just leave from the barn and ride. cars, people, dogs, fences, you name it..LOL

rough I know!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ParsonsWife said:
:D Hello,
My squash I freeze just like my okra.
Hi Parson's wife, thanks for posting this... sounds delicious. I will try it as I am prepping and freezing veggies today. Thanks!