Can you identify this bush?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See it all along the forests here -- curious. It has a long stem (like an elderberry) and when old enough does branch some. It sends up a large floral display, tiny white flowers, which look like someone stuck a bouquet up there. Now, those have turned into some dark purple berries.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gosh, thanks. I'll check that out and see what's happening with them. They are everywhere! Maybe I'll taste one of the berries.
I know there is a bumper crop of Beautyberry here on the farm! They are so pretty with those fuscia berries.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
AHA -- tasted one of the "unknown" bush berries. Nasty & Bitter. Can't be "service berries" as they all are referred to as a blueberry type taste. Maybe the Ag center can help identify.

As to the Beautyberries...yep, I will make a SMALL amount of jelly, just to see if it is something I would like. I could make gallons -- that many out there. But what I've seen of the jelly in pics it is a lovely color -- a ruby pink. But, colored water looks that good :D so unless it tastes great, only one batch. Gotta try it because it's bugging me.:idunno All that's there & I need to harvest. Probably comes from no garden this yr.:(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Makes sense to me that you want to figure out if something can be done with these berries. Nothing is better than free supplies! But, if the supplies don't taste good...eh... not worth the time and supplies needed.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no idea of the species, but I've always called it a chokeberry. Not very good to eat, very tart and sour. I googled chokeberry and there's lots of different kinds out there. So maybe it's just a common name for any berry from a bush that will make you choke.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard of a chokeberry called "aronia"... native to the US, but it became very popular in eastern Europe and Russia. You can't eat them fresh, but they apparently make a very tasty jelly. Apparently one of those "superfoods" too. I don't know if that's what you have though...