Can you identify this bush?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I find ours kind of bland but they are edible. I usually just pick for snacks while I'm working outside when they are ripe.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find ours kind of bland but they are edible. I usually just pick for snacks while I'm working outside when they are ripe.
Isn't that a little risky? especially when you don't know what type of bush that is? I won't risk even a single leaf dropping down my throat with that.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Serviceberry is easy to identify. I don't eat anything I dont know what it is. Many wild plants are easy though. A local edible plant book helps. That's how people run into issues where I am. They get edible plant books for the whole country and misidentify plants because our local stuff isnt even in it. I picked up a few more from the county conservation district a few years ago and they are big enough now to produce a decent amount of berries for the plant size. There is a big bush by my mailbox and a huge one at the neighbor's gate I can pick from. There's also a little one out by the pond that came up last year. I mark food plants so I don't mow on accident. Even if I don't eat them, birds will.

Im paranoid about mushrooms, which everyone should be. There are only a few mushrooms I can be positive on.

Oh and don't eat wild carrots. My high school biology teacher drilled that into us. He encouraged wild collecting but we have too much hemlock around for carrot types to be safe. Every now and then it comes up in the local news where someone ate what they thought were carrots and got poisoned.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Serviceberry is easy to identify. I don't eat anything I dont know what it is. Many wild plants are easy though. A local edible plant book helps. That's how people run into issues where I am. They get edible plant books for the whole country and misidentify plants because our local stuff isnt even in it. I picked up a few more from the county conservation district a few years ago and they are big enough now to produce a decent amount of berries for the plant size. There is a big bush by my mailbox and a huge one at the neighbor's gate I can pick from. There's also a little one out by the pond that came up last year. I mark food plants so I don't mow on accident. Even if I don't eat them, birds will.

Im paranoid about mushrooms, which everyone should be. There are only a few mushrooms I can be positive on.

Oh and don't eat wild carrots. My high school biology teacher drilled that into us. He encouraged wild collecting but we have too much hemlock around for carrot types to be safe. Every now and then it comes up in the local news where someone ate what they thought were carrots and got poisoned.
Serviceberry? I'm sorry for being so nosy. Whats a Serviceberry is it edible? :D:D.. Here in the Philippines, the only berry that we have are strawberries. :D:D:D

Latest posts