Can you live without paper towels?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's how they serve fish and chips in England...on newspapers! Soaks up all the grease. Have done so for a long, long time.

Newspapers are wonderful! We always put a couple of layers on the table to cut up watermelon, to can, to arrange flowers inside, etc. Then you just roll up the mess and pop it in the compost bin.

A nice big roll of brown craft paper has many uses as well, just like the newspaper. We wrap all Christmas gifts in it and reuse it for other things like firestarter, to place muddy, snowy boots on, to line a drawer or shelf, as a matting behind sepia photos in a frame, etc. Soaks up grease like a dream, also.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wondered about that, too, ticks. I'm guessing maybe the layer of oil over the ink prevents it from... psht. Who am I kidding? I don't know!

Cassandra

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
used newspaper to clean my windows once as I heard it was really good for that- the windows came clean but my hands were black. lol
DH has a house painting business and he uses newspaper on the windows...and gloves! :)

fullhouse

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use flats, as in cloth diaper birdseye cotton squares, rather than paper towels. Great for cleaning! Less lint than any paper towel I have used. :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Seahound said:
i need to think about NOT using paper towels.
We use them often too much infact
Just by 2 sets of wash cloths per person in the family, and just wash daily. You will save money!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some of my old dish towels are starting to get ravelled and raggedy. I have started cutting them in half and sewing a little hem all the way around. So I have twice as many. w00t!

Plus, my mom just came to see me at work today and brought me ten new dish towels. (Yay. She's always asking what I need for the house and I always say dish towels. lol) Plus, she brought me some coffee flavored malted milk balls. OMgoodness. They are divine!

Cassandra

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never have really gotten used to using them. I dont buy them but maybe once a year when my husband insists. Now if this question was about toilet paper....hmmmm :)