Can you really be Earth friendly if you have children?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't get the impression that Rosalind is saying that is the way it SHOULD be, just the way it too often IS. Kind of like being a mother. It SHOULD be considered the world's most important job, but how many people actually treat it that way? Just life...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree, Ann!

I think we are both missing the point, Rosalind, and I will agree to disagree with your opinion, if I may.

After reading your last post, I have no idea what point you are trying to make and, I have a feeling, neither do you. You don't want to have children and that is fine. Actually, I believe that would be the best thing, after hearing your opinions on "immigrant" workers, nursing aides and the "raisin ranch???"...sorry, that is just crass!

I'm also sorry if you felt insulted, but you did misconstrue my entire post and maybe you even misconstrued the part where you felt insulted.

Rosalind

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Who is going to care for you into your old age?
You better hope they work in the nursing home you will end up in...and I hope they haven't read your posts! ;)

Were you raised by wolves, perchance?

I feel so much better that this type of thinking will not be reproduced ad nauseam.
I don't think I am the one who is confused here about courtesy, but yes, I will certainly agree to disagree.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It may not be everyone's choice to have children, but I think its really out of line to make statements that they are doing it to save the world that the rest of us are destroying by being so irresponsible as to have the children that the Lord granted us.

It also seems odd to me that anyone would sit down and discuss whether they are going to have children based strictly on the world being overpopulated.
There has to be more to it.
If someone loves kids and really wants them, posesses the maternal instinct to have them and feels also that it unifies them and makes them a family, then I find it hard to believe anyone would deny themselves that in order not to add to the population.

So someone who desperately wants a family is going to make the ultimate sacrifice and go childless for the good of the world with no guarantee its going to make any difference at all anyway?

Uh uh, I just don't buy it.
I think its just that they never wanted children anyway and to say its for other more "noble" reasons, such as saving the world from ourselves is pretentious.

The only reason I even commented on this thread is I feel its offensive and disturbing in so many ways its unbelievable and sad.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I guess I don't get it either. There are so many ways to be involved in kids' lives, love them and try to give them a great start in life. I love kids, I have 2 biological children, lots of nieces and nephews, some biological, some adopted. I love helping out in the schools. Are you really saying that I must have some hidden motive, not even apparent to me, in not having more kids of my own? I have many reasons for not having more--most of them completely personal--but one of them is that the world seems to have enough people in it already. You are very welcome (of course! it's not my business!) to have any size family you feel able to support well. But, PLEASE, everyone--why all these comments that there really MUST be some other reason? Why is this one so difficult to understand?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No No, you misunderstand.
I was referring to people that come out and make critical comments about people that choose to have families like its a bad thing to do these days and then say that I would never have children because I think the earth is too over populated.
First off, they should keep those thoughts to themselves.
I don't walk around being critical of childless couples.
My point is, I don't always believe that people don't have kids because its the politically correct thing to do or environmentally friendly or whatever it is.
I think the majority don't choose to start a family because they just don't want to, for whatever else their reasons are
If you wanted to have kids, and your husband wanted to have kids and its always been your dream to be a parent and have a family, are you not going to do that because there are already enough other people having children on this planet?
So you have an overwhelming desire to be a mother but you will deny that to keep the population down?
Obviously, you already have children so I don't see where you are in this equation, you didn't feel the world was overpopulated to the point where you abstained from starting a family at all and this is what was being discussed.
See now this is where the thread gets off track even more and takes on a life of its own.
That would be a whole other discussion of where how many children is it okay to have and still be enviromentally concientious
The discussion, to my understanding is that it is irresponsible to bring ANY children into this world period.

There are many children being born these days that are going to do great things for this world, I don't believe people should be have to defend themselves for bringing them into this world.
There is no way this topic could ever be constructive and I just don't see the point in wasting any good energy on it.

I am going to sign off on this thread since I think its bad energy.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bad energy is right! This is a subject that touches the inner workings of all people. Our basic instinct is to survive and we fight every day to stay alive. Just accept each other as is and get along. We have to stick together to make it in this world. I think that self-sufficient people are the kindest and most self aware people out there. Don't argue anymore, ok.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I agree, completely. I just had to check this thread one more time, but it's so upsetting that I had already promised myself to not even look any more. It's nice to see others coming to that same conclusion...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
I made one small statement in the beginning and then stayed out of this thread...LOL....I do know that it can turn wild in a flash.....oh well...best to let it die down now!