Can you store grain in buckets?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello there! I have been a member on y’alls sister sites for a while, so I decided to join this one too!
My main question is how long can I store flour in five gallon buckets? I live in a humid climate, so I don’t know if that will affect store times too much. Also, has anyone tried storing rice and other grains in buckets? I was hoping to get a nice little stock in my conex, any advice?

it depends upon what kind of flour it is and how you package it. humid doesn't help and also heat won't help.

we don't store flour here for very long as we use quite a bit of it and we don't have storage space for larger amounts.

no idea what "conex" means...

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it depends upon what kind of flour it is and how you package it. humid doesn't help and also heat won't help.

we don't store flour here for very long as we use quite a bit of it and we don't have storage space for larger amounts.

no idea what "conex" means...
I was hoping to store some up while it’s cheap. That’s why I was hoping for a lot. Mainly wheat flour and rice.
A conex is also known as a storage container, shipping container, or train box I believe. It’s a water tight metal box basically.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep all my buckets in the house since its both temp and humidity controlled. Granted I have to wash some of the lids on longer term stored since one of the cats likes to sleep on them. He sheds everywhere.

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No odor or taste problems . What you have is a mild form of mustard gas . So I would not huff the fumes .

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Flour does not have a long storage life, even if stored under ideal conditions. The "conex" you describe will be subject to temp. fluctuation, which will increase condensation issues. Also, once a grain is milled, the nutrients in it immediately starts to oxidize. It doesn't take long for milled grain to "get rancid". Instead of storing flour, I suggest that you buy a good quality grain mill, and buy whole wheat berries. Those WILL store for a long time. I would package the wheat in 2 - 3# packages, using a vac seal or something similar. @Beekissed has had great luck storing wheat LONG TERM. Not sure the exact length of time, or how she stored it, but... I'm sure she will chime in here. BTW, I have not yet bought a grain mill. Definitely one of my "must do" projects.
I store flour in the cellar with success. but it is a constant 38 to 40degress F
I have tried plastic, glass wood and metal, lined with plastic liner. I find all work though i like the convenience of plastic as i can stack them...one bucket for each type. I also strategically place sprigs of dried herbs as extra precautio to repel insects & rodents. Though i never have had any (probably due to cold temps) I only do this as i also have not invested in a grain mill yet.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, yes you can - if you can keep out the humidity and maintain a temperature between 34 to 40 degrees. Of course the grains must be dry first. I store my malted grains in zip lock baggies and in the refrigerator in the "crisper" drawer.