Can you store grain in buckets?

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello there! I have been a member on y’alls sister sites for a while, so I decided to join this one too!
My main question is how long can I store flour in five gallon buckets? I live in a humid climate, so I don’t know if that will affect store times too much. Also, has anyone tried storing rice and other grains in buckets? I was hoping to get a nice little stock in my conex, any advice?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello there! I have been a member on y’alls sister sites for a while, so I decided to join this one too!
My main question is how long can I store flour in five gallon buckets? I live in a humid climate, so I don’t know if that will affect store times too much. Also, has anyone tried storing rice and other grains in buckets? I was hoping to get a nice little stock in my conex, any advice?

it depends upon what kind of flour it is and how you package it. humid doesn't help and also heat won't help.

we don't store flour here for very long as we use quite a bit of it and we don't have storage space for larger amounts.

no idea what "conex" means...

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it depends upon what kind of flour it is and how you package it. humid doesn't help and also heat won't help.

we don't store flour here for very long as we use quite a bit of it and we don't have storage space for larger amounts.

no idea what "conex" means...
I was hoping to store some up while it’s cheap. That’s why I was hoping for a lot. Mainly wheat flour and rice.
A conex is also known as a storage container, shipping container, or train box I believe. It’s a water tight metal box basically.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Flour does not have a long storage life, even if stored under ideal conditions. The "conex" you describe will be subject to temp. fluctuation, which will increase condensation issues. Also, once a grain is milled, the nutrients in it immediately starts to oxidize. It doesn't take long for milled grain to "get rancid". Instead of storing flour, I suggest that you buy a good quality grain mill, and buy whole wheat berries. Those WILL store for a long time. I would package the wheat in 2 - 3# packages, using a vac seal or something similar. @Beekissed has had great luck storing wheat LONG TERM. Not sure the exact length of time, or how she stored it, but... I'm sure she will chime in here. BTW, I have not yet bought a grain mill. Definitely one of my "must do" projects.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have one of the big shipping containers for a shed. Humidity is horrid out there even with me having buckets with ice melt to absorb the moisture. I'd never store food in it. We're going to build a small wood shed for storing potatoes and such.

Gamma lids are the way to go for storage buckets. They are air tight. For grains mylar bags in the bucket with moisture absorbers also helps. I also use oxygen absorbers.

I don't keep a ton of flour around because it will go rancid. What I do keep is in a 3 gallon bucket and half gallon mason jars.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got Mom some Gamma lids (and snapped the bottom ring on for her) several years ago. She keeps her rice and tapioca flours in them now. She made a mistake and put some of the rice flour in a snap lock container last time I took her some. It went rancid but the stuff she'd put in the bucket was fine.

She's made a request for a few more lids and buckets as she's found everything keeps better in the airtight buckets.

BTW my hubby still calls them conex boxes as well. That's what they were called when we were in the Navy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have whole wheat berries stored in buckets, in vacuum sealed bags. I also have a Family Grain mill with a motor and a hand crank. I’ve had the wheat about 9 years, still good. I have pinto beans and rice, about the same age, am using them now and will replace soon. I wouldn’t store ANY kind of food items in a Conex. Not ever. In summer, they get hot, in winter, they are cold. Not the best situation for food storage. Nope, Don’t store food in a Conex. Stack your buckets up in a closet or something, don’t put in the attic either. You can extend flour storage by sealing it in a vacuum sealed bag, then storing in the freezer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, yes you can - if you can keep out the humidity and maintain a temperature between 34 to 40 degrees. Of course the grains must be dry first. I store my malted grains in zip lock baggies and in the refrigerator in the "crisper" drawer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep all my buckets in the house since its both temp and humidity controlled. Granted I have to wash some of the lids on longer term stored since one of the cats likes to sleep on them. He sheds everywhere.