Can you store grain in buckets?

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting. I have the conex for animal food, fencing and tools. Basically the random bulky stuff. I was hoping grain could be stored in it because my house really doesn’t have a lot of room and my water level is too high for a cellar. But it is definitely NOT temp controlled in the least. Good to know to bag and bucket the grain. Thanks y’all.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I am kind of late on the reply but here we go .
On flour don't store anything with bran/germ in it . So just bleached or unbleached white only . No self rising as backing powder loses potency .
On grains buckets with or without Mylar can work as long as they have a good gasket . You will want to use o2 absorbers or hand warmers. One grain not to store is brown rice . It will go rancid even without oxygen. White rice stores fine.

If you are going to truly store large amounts of a grain you might look at food grade steel drums. Here instead of o2 absorbers there is a mother trick. After any dust has settled take 5 cotton balls and cover with flours of sulfer . Place in a metal pie pan on top of grain . You will need 5 inches of head space for these. Set cotton balls on fire . Then seal the barrel. Cotton/ sulfer will burn up the o2 and go out.
Anytime you open barrel to remove grain just just relight the cotton.
As far as moister in any area you can get silica that you can redry and reuse. I got mine of Amazon . Dry its blue and pink it's wet . Will look it up and post link.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No odor or taste problems . What you have is a mild form of mustard gas . So I would not huff the fumes .

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The animal feed I have in there is mainly corn. I’ve had it for about six months and aside from rice weevles(which are common and come in the corn) it’s fine. The chicken feed gets turned over every two months about so I couldn’t tell you how long it could last.
The drums sound awesome! Those could be in my conex still, correct?
I said flour, honestly I just want to store any grain so my family can have some as it gets more rare.
I don’t mind wheat berries either, I can be flexible for whatever will be best and I don’t mind the extra work of grinding.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wheat berries can be stored for 30+ years if you store it properly. Mylar bag in a bucket, add an O2 absorber and seal the bag. Seal the lid on the bucket. White rice same thing.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a pellet feed for my animals. I have a portable building, uninsulated, just a metal building. I can tell you from experience that feed doesn't store very long in it. It gets moldy in the humidity we have here in about 2 to 3 months. We buy feed monthly and use the oldest first. In summer the shelf life is less than 2 months

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule How do you store the feed, in plastic buckets, metal garbage cans or something else?