CANDY for long term storage

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hard candies like lemon drops and lifesavers store for a loooooooooooooong time. Chocolate, does not.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Actually, I wanted to make a simple fudge or candy. I think I found something using oats. Will have to experiment.
google ...no bake choc. oatmeal cookies. Use the recipe with peanut butter. Simple, fool proof, fudgelike and yummy.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can vacuum seal chocolate chips and M&M's and they will last quite awhile. Don't know for how long, we don't give them a chance to go bad. The longest we had some was 8 months, only because I was really tired when I hid them from the kids and forgot where I put them.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to keep the raw ingredients on hand to make some sort of treat rather than trying to store premade treats. Healthier for you (you KNOW what goes into it) and raw ingredients will keep better anyway. Plus it is a fun activity to share together.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I noticed you didn't say you have bulk sugar.

sugar is what you would be craving if candy is what you want for a treat.

once you have sugar the sky is the limit.

strawberries dipped in sugar.
make lollipops very easy yourself when wanted.
make spun sugar.

if you have sugar you don't need halloween candy. you have the makings for tons of desserts on hand then....and if all else fails and no time to make any kind of candy treat, eat a spoonful of sugar. at least you got a fix :lol:

stocking sugar is a must

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No bake cookies are to die for. And instead of sugar on the spoon, try sugar on a piece of bread. As kids, this was a special treat we made for ourselves... Take a piece of bread, spread sugar all over it, dump the excess back into the sugar bowl and chow down. Soooo freakin good!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Of course sugar cravings can sometimes be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Of course sugar cravings can sometimes be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. :p
Which could be why my back hurts like the dickens and I've been craving chocolate, lol. Just been too lazy to go get a epsom salt bath.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I *do* have bulk sugar and would be using it sparingly to make treats. Sometimes we just want to grab something. Time is limited here, with my son's epilepsy not under control. He's actually developed yet another kind of seizure where he's motorally functionally but has no conscious thought. He did that the other night, unlocked the front door and went out and did who-knows-what. I have to watch him a lot. Can't really have a pot of boiling sugar water on the stove for long.

Oooh, divinity! Haven't made it in a long time: egg whites and sugar. Yum. Maybe sometime in the winter, when my husband can "chill" with the son and I can work uninterrupted.

Also, definitely definitely plan to hit stores the day after Halloween. I love those sales. Certainly can't pre-buy because (1) price and (2) I'd eat it all!

Will try the no-bake oatmeal fudge this weekend but will use almond butter instead of peanut butter ... allergies. I remember making those "cookies/fudge" for home ec in middle school. Hey, I'm doing home ec with my kid this year .... HE can make them!

Sugar on the bread: I do that sometimes, except I usually spread a little butter then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it. Will have to try your thing, Betta.

Almost every holiday has special colored M&Ms now. Will start looking at stores the day after and grab some. Then vacuum seal.

I do definitely love candy but 2 days of chest pains makes me remember that I don't have a young bod anymore. My poison of choice is chocolate, so I'll stock up on non-favorites of mine but stuff the others in the family like. If I vacuum seal and hide deep in the metal trash cans, I'll be less inclined to hunt for it. And I just won't tell the fam!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gram's no-bake cookies!

2c Sugar
1 Stick butter
.5c Cocoa
.5c Milk

Mix, cook til boiling. Boil for two minutes, remove from stove and add:

1t Vanilla
.5c Peanut Butter
3c Oatmeal

Then you just spoon them out onto a cookie sheet or anything that's flat and food-safe. You can use wax paper, but I'm cheap so I don't. My mom made them mostly in the winter, and she'd make a LOT and just set the sheets outside in the cold. You can leave them on the counter as well, they'll harden up. This recipe is what we all grew up on. When my cousin (the recipe keeper, lol) had her house burn down, the entire family lost out... Until one day a few years later, my stepdad was in the cupboards and opened a book (don't ask why there was a book up there) and an old, yucky, disgusting little index card fell out and he asked me what it was... Here, it was the recipe that I had written down years before, when we lived in another town. I sent the recipe to everyone in the family via email and facebook, because I wasn't about to lose it again, lol. I've made other recipes, and they're ok, but nothing compares to Grandma's recipe! :D

And, the cinnamon sugar is a brilliant idea. I always forget about cinnamon and butter, but I do love it when someone refreshes my memory.