Candy recipes?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I was thinking about making some candy but don't have any inspirations. I'm not a very experienced candy maker but I don't want to buy "junK' with preservatives and coloring and stuff in it, I'd rather learn to make more candy (which my family DEMANDS).

Any fun ideas?

I have tons of goat milk, eggs, butter, sugar, brown sugar, preserves, peanut butter, molasses, honey, vanilla......so I should be able to make SOMETHING.

The only think we don't want is high-sodium (I can't have that).

Suggestions?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tire (pronounced teer) de St Catharine!!!!

My recette ( recipe) is on the other computer which is broke, but here is a blog with recipe and it explains the tradition. The ingredients are simialr to my recipe, but we don tuse corn syrup. Increase one of the other sugars. This is very good and if you put in a little pepperment extract, it will taste like humbugs.
http://catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/2010/11/la-tire-de-ste-catherine.html

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh yeah, we did ours in an electric frying pan, but make sure it is big eough as the stuff swells when you add the baking soda. and we didn't use a candy thermometer, but I can't remember our process,--i think it was just until it bubbled well. We alwasy made hard taffy,a nd after cutting it into small peices, we put the candy in a bag and added icing sugar to cover each peice, so they wouldn't stick together.

Thanks alot too btw. Now my dd is all wanting to make the candy :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I wonder if I can make candy this year to just... I dunno. Give away? I sure can't eat it :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That looks good! And I have all those ingredients here! Thanks!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coconut candy is a yummy slow-roasted, sugar-coated coconut treat that I thought could only be found at a roadside stand on the famous Hana Highway in Maui. It's fairly low in sugar as candy goes.

To make this irresistible treat you will need:
1 whole coconut
Raw sugar (also known as Turbinado Sugar, Sugar in the Raw, or Natural Brown Sugar)
An old dish towel
1 Hammer
1 Nail

As Im sure you've guessed, the hammer, nail and dish towel are not part of the recipe, just part of the coconut-cracking process. The great thing about this treat is how natural it is. Its just coconut and a little bit of sugar to bring out the awesome flavor.

To crack the coconut, put a hole in each of the three depressions. Then sit the coconut (holes-down) over a glass so all the coconut water can drain out. When the water has drained, cover the coconut with a dish towel and hammer it until you can feel that it has broken into many pieces. Once broken, pry the pieces of flesh away from the shell with a butter knife or your hands. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the coconut into thin pieces.

Put the shaved coconut in a ziptop bag with cup of raw cane sugar. Place the bag in the refrigerator for 20 minutes until the sugar starts to melt into the coconut. If you leave it in the fridge for too long it makes the coconut too soggy (and nasty)!

Arrange the sugared coconut shavings in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Heat the oven to the lowest setting. I wouldnt go higher than 200. Stir and rearrange the coconut about every hour.

These are going to bake for a long time, about 6 hours. Baking times will vary depending on how low your oven goes, and how your oven distributes heat. You will know when they are done when they are a toasty color and crunchy, not chewy.

These would be great to make on a cold day when your house could use the heat from the oven being on all day, and your spirits could use a little tropical treat!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Candied Rhubarb

Cut rhubarb into 1/4' to 1/2' slices, toss in granulated sugar to coat. Arrange on slingle layer on parchment paper and bake in 175F oven with door slightly openuntil pieces are dried and just a little pliable--anywhere fron 2-6 hours.(depending on moisture level and variety of rhubarb, the thickness of slices and vagaries of oven. Loosesn from parchment paper while still warm. Store at room temp in an airtight container. You can also make them in your food dehydrator. It tastes like a natural gummy candy

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Tire (pronounced teer) de St Catharine!!!!

My recette ( recipe) is on the other computer which is broke, but here is a blog with recipe and it explains the tradition. The ingredients are simialr to my recipe, but we don tuse corn syrup. Increase one of the other sugars. This is very good and if you put in a little pepperment extract, it will taste like humbugs.
http://catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/2010/11/la-tire-de-ste-catherine.html
I love humbugs!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
dont forget goat milk fudge!!! i think Roll has a recipe over on the herds site. its awesome. and you can make a peanut butter swirl.... yum......

:)