Canker Sores

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
:rant I hate them!! I've had one for what feels like forever (probably about 5 days). They're viruses, right? Or am I thinking of coldsores?

I've tried warm saltwater and Listerine and neither is helping. Is there anything I can do to shorten the time? If they're viruses probably not, huh? :(

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have any lemon balm growing, or lemon balm essential oil, that should help.

Some studies suggest that topical ointments containing lemon balm may help heal cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). In one study of 116 people with HSV, those who applied lemon balm cream to their lip sores experienced significant improvement in redness and swelling after only 2 days. Other symptoms, such as pain and scabbing, did not improve. Both the patients and their doctors reported that the lemon balm ointment was highly effective. Several animal studies also support the value of topical lemon balm for herpes lesions.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You may have a sensitivity to SLS - check the ingredients on your toothpaste and mouthwash. If it has SLS in it- stop using it. You can find toothpaste in the health food store without it, or just stick to baking soda.
You might want to try Olive Leaf Extract. You can get it in pill form- makes a huge difference. L-lysine can help as well.
Good luck!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I haven't had one since high school when I went organic. But man I used to get them a lot before that.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also used to get them a lot and would usually dab on Carmex or campho-phenique. Those helped some but were not the greatest.

Since I went more organic (can't say I'm nearly all there at all) and started using natural supplements, I've gotten very few. Usually at the first tingle I take L-lysine with beta glucan (mine is made by Solaray). Sometimes extra vitamin C and E.

The two I actually have gotten in the past number of years, I use an essential oil mix called Tei-Fu made by Nature's Sunshine. I think it has wintergreen, camphor, and several others. It tastes rather nasty but will knock them out quickly along with continued lysine. I take the lysine 2-3 times a day fora few days even if the cold sore never really appears.

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of taking it after you've already has it for a while.

I did tr Abbreva ONE time -- lots of advertising about shortening duration. Iwould not recommend it. That cold sore ended up being worse and lasting longer than any other in my life.

I hope you are able to get rid of it soon. They are not fun. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This can be painful, but every time you brush your teeth, gently brush the canker too. I found that if you brush off that layer of yellow stuff, it feels better almost right away and heals faster. Think of it like "proud flesh"...if you have horses you will know what I'm talking about.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
L-lysine is effective, my daughter has used this for years.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I had what I thought was a canker sore but when I sent some pics to my buddy (an endodontist) he suggested that it was probably a "mucus seal" or "mucus cyst". Sure enough, the more research I did the more it seemed like this was it. http://www.drugs.com/enc/mucous-cyst.html

It was a VERY defined bump and seemed to get much worse while / after I ate.

This stuff worked pretty well for numbing the pain and protecting the area a little with a film: http://www.blistex.com/other-blistex-brands/kank-a/kank-a-mouth-pain-liquid

I get canker sores from time to time (not a virus like coldsores) and they usually go away after 3 - 6 days.

My problem was going on for about 2 weeks and that is when I asked my buddy. He said if it lasted longer than 3 that I should come for a visit. Well, it was about 4 weeks and it finally seems to have mostly gone away. I can still feel a tiny tiny raised area, but nothing at all like it was for 3 weeks!

I'm VERY glad I didn't need to get it surgically removed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always swished and spit with warm salt water...this always seemed to soothe the pain and speed healing.

For cold sores, I found a sure fire remedy that sounds gross but has worked for me 100% of the time. When you feel that first tingle or itch at the site, apply some of your own ear wax...even a very tiny amount will do it...and the sore will not develop.

I posted this a long time ago and one of our members tried it and found it to be true.

I've even tried it on the small, unbroken blisters when I failed to catch it earlier and it dried them up and halted the inflammation.

Actually, I applied this remedy just today and the tingle/burning/itching halted immediately and there has been no further symptoms.

I've suffered from cold sores since I was in grade school and wished I had learned this remedy before high school came along. Some old lady told me about it and I tried it...the rest is history. Haven't had a cold sore since then.